Which subwoofer shoulld I go for -- Ascendant Audio, JL, Dayton, other?

Question for anyone who knows.........how much RMS power should I be giving this Havoc to really make her sing. Not bone-crushing bass, just good, hard hitting, daily driving to match my front stage. I've got a good 600-800 watts going to front stage and I've always been told to at least match the front. Of course, my Ascendant Atlas 15's blew away alot of other subs I've had with only 500 watts apiece. Now, the Avalanches, on the other hand, were some power-hungry sumbitches. I'm hoping this Havoc is in between.

Thinking about grabbing a RF 1200bdcp to feed her.

By the way, all of my subs have been women -- they cost you a helluva lot of money -- they're loud as **** whether you like it or not -- there ain't nothing like giving them a good pounding and waking up the neighbors -- when you don't have them around, it feels like something is missing -- feed 'em bad **** and they'll get fat and sloppy, but give her something good and after a little break-in period, when you've bagged a good one, she can make your earth shake.

Just had a guy offer to sell me a fully loaded Dual 1 Ohm Fi Audio BL 12" for $265.00. Never owned a Fi sub before, but I've heard that they make Ascendant, so they must be decent.
Another guy has a Focal 13" 33 KX selling for $435.

Should I consider either of these?
I got a focal 40kx if u want some SQ

Louder is not generally what I'm looking for. I've always preferred sealed boxes, but alot of that probably has to do with the fact that I've never taken the time to make sure that I'm tuning a box to the exact specifications or frquencuy of the woofer. I would usually be within the general vicinity, but I doubt I've ever been perfect. In addition, I've always just liked the sound that I get from my sealed boxes........hard hitting, tight, well controlled, and musically sound.

One thing I'm debating with myself right now is which way to face the woofer(s). All of my boxes previously have been trapezoidal with the front slanted slightly back and the woofers facing front. However, as I really want to conserve space this time around, I'm considering making a downward facing box. How much clearance does the woofer need in order for the sound pressure waves not to be disrupted?

ported is louder but sealed is tighter more controlled bass from what Ive experienced. I think Id rather go ported.
Top SQ in the world right now is ported. I'm pretty sure it's tight and controlled. My last ported setup was flat 27-50hz with very little roll off.

Top SQ in the world right now is ported. I'm pretty sure it's tight and controlled. My last ported setup was flat 27-50hz with very little roll off.
I don't doubt it, NoLoud4U. I'm just saying that I have always gone sealed and thats what I have preferred. If I had someone like you making my box, I would probably let you convince me to do ported. Alas, I do not. I may try ported sometime soon, tho.

I don't doubt it, NoLoud4U. I'm just saying that I have always gone sealed and thats what I have preferred. If I had someone like you making my box, I would probably let you convince me to do ported. Alas, I do not. I may try ported sometime soon, tho.
There are tons of box designers out there.

my JL is ported and it sounds tight and controlled like a sealed. I GUESS IT DEPENDS ON THE QUALITY OR "ENGINEERING" INVOLVED IN the design of the ported enclosure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.