which one will get louder? dd vs fi

There is no such thing as "underpowering" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif Flame me so I can make you look foolish and we can put this whole myth to bed. I'm sick of it.
It's being used in the sense that you're not going to get the full potential out of the sub(possibly).

No one is saying it's bad for the woofer, and the amount of power you really need is install dependent(ie: you can use a bigger box, like Buck said, to increase efficiency and lower mechanical power handling...at a cost though). But what if someone has limited space and can only fit 2.5ft^3 for one of these subs(or just doesn't want to deal with the drawbacks of a larger box), and wants to throw 500 watts on it...would you not agree that the sub isn't being used to it's full potential? Let's take it even further, since you said nothing can be underpowered...put one watt to one of these subs and what do you get?

If the myth you're talking about is a sub being damaged because it's not receiving enough power, then yes, that's obvious...I don't think anyone here was saying that at all.

It's being used in the sense that you're not going to get the full potential out of the sub(possibly).
No one is saying it's bad for the woofer, and the amount of power you really need is install dependent(ie: you can use a bigger box, like Buck said, to increase efficiency and lower mechanical power handling...at a cost though). But what if someone has limited space and can only fit 2.5ft^3 for one of these subs(or just doesn't want to deal with the drawbacks of a larger box), and wants to throw 500 watts on it...would you not agree that the sub isn't being used to it's full potential? Let's take it even further, since you said nothing can be underpowered...put one watt to one of these subs and what do you get?

If the myth you're talking about is a sub being damaged because it's not receiving enough power, then yes, that's obvious...I don't think anyone here was saying that at all.
you know t00 much

Full potential? No and you literally didn't even make a valid argument. In the scenario you provided, let's say I have 500 watts on tap. Let's say I have a alpine type r 12 and a ddz 12. The ddz is way more efficient and will perform better in almost any scenario you can think of. Don't like that and want more low end extension? There are a whole host of subs with power ratings well over 500w that will outperform that same 500w rated sub because they are more efficient.

Efficiency is key... NOT supplying a sub with the exact amount of power it's rated for. That's a silly notion and is a myth. Everyone thinks you have to power a sub with its rms rating to get it to perform and it's simply not true. What does "full potential" mean anyways? Everyone says type r's can take thousands of watts so does that mean I have to give each type r 1000 watts to get its "full potential"?

Of course not because it is a faulty premise....

With your logic, you just disregard any rms rating and pour the coals to the sub until it catches on fire because you were "trying to get it to its full potential". Doubling the power at most can give you a 3db gain.... so how much does it really matter? Thanks for playing though. You were just too fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.