Which of these wiring installations for less AMP heat?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I'm only curious which way to wire my sub & amp to keep the amp slightly cooler in my tricky installation. My car is a 2 seater & I have to install my amp behind my drivers seat. I currently have 2 channels being used for my CDT ES62i's. I'm now wondering how to wire my subwoofer.

Should I have my DVC 4 Ohm sub:

1. wired to 8 ohms and then hook it up to my Kicker's final 2 channels bridged at 325 watts @ 4 ohms?

2. wired to 2 ohms and then hook it up to my Kicker's final 2 channels at 170 watts @ 2 ohms?

I don't play my sub loud at all, I use it just to fill in some lost bass. So I prefer SQ obviously over SPL.

After some reading it seems like having the sub demands less at 8 ohms would have the amp working less hard? I really don't know the basics of car audio other than what I've read recently.

SUB: Hertz ES 250

https://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-subwoofers-energy-es250_5/

AMP: KX650.4

https://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Kicker-KX650.4-Car-Audio-KX-Series-4-Channel-650-Watt-Speaker-Amplifier-Closeout-04KX650.4-L

RMS Power Ratings:

• 14.4V:

120 watts x 4 chan. @ 4 ohms
  • 170 watts x 4 chan. @ 2 ohms
  • 325 watts x 2 chan. @ 4 ohms

You cannot use that sub on that amp if DVC 4. Yes you can go 8 ohm but the amp will put out roughly 120 watts. You cannot bridge it to 2 ohms it appears if only listed at 4 ohm bridged then thats only way to wire it without damaging or potentially damaging amp. you could use a DVC 2 ohm and run it a 4 on that amp or get a different amp.  

Is it the DVC 250 or the single voice coil. if its a single 4 your fine I think your gonna be under powering the sub with that amp I suggest a mono block with 500 rms to assure you never clip the signal. I would take the cdts and run the amp at 2 channels for them unless its a bi amp set then you can run the tweeters and mids off own channel

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.