Which of the beast 600rms subs?

any one of those subs would be good. sundown and obsidian are made from the same company.
If you want to make that statement then Sundown, Skar and Obsidian are all made by the same company.

Both Skar and Obsidian have influences from Jacob, but that's not to say they are all identical products. OP, what you choose comes down to what you are looking for. The SA line will get loud and take some abuse, Skar's will get low with no issue and Obsidian is kind of like a mix between the two with some SQ thrown into it all.

audiopipe TXX-BF //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

thumb0.jpg

Bigger motor...more cone displacement...Cheaper.

Bigger motor doesn't mean more motor force //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
some truth to this statement as the coil used plays a great role. take for instance DD 9500 subs. bg *** motor coupled with a fatty copper coil shoved into a tighter gap creates a ungodly amount of BL. I can have a trf motor and a 2layer fw coil one soft spider and have a 800rms beast lol

The quality of ferrite is also what I was leaning towards....
i ook at the whole thing aha. but yes. some cheap as ferrite is fail lol.

i vote skars //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif they get so god **** low!

You really can't go wrong with any of them. We all know they are great subs at a great value. The SA's of course can take absurd amounts of abuse, everyone knows it, and they dig pretty low. The Skars take a good chunk of abuse as well, and dig really low from what I've heard. I know DonH has a pair in his truck tuned to what, 26hz? And they're pounding. And I've heard good reports of a little more SQ from Obsidian. Yes, I'm just reiterating what Kangaroux said, and passing on reports and reviews from around the forums. And going off personal use on my SA-10.

if you ask me, all 3 of those are the same sub, not the exact same but I would like more differences in the market. China made baskets and magnets wins I guess.
China makes 99.99% of the baskets. Stamped, cast, etc. Even Emminence buys their baksets and magnets from overseas. The majority of the worlds steel and magnet material comes from overseas as well. Albeit our steel made here in the US goes over to China and then right back to us.

All three of the drivers mentioned have huge differences between them. I've posted this before but I'll post it again anyway. The differences between the Obsidian and Sundown SA series subwoofers include, but are not limited to, the following:

Surround material

Surround shape

Cone thickness

Basket type

Top plate OD

Top plate ID

Top plate thickness

Magnet grade

Magnet OD

Magnet ID

Magnet thickness

Backplate OD

Backplate ID

Backplate thickness

Backplate machining

Pole ID

Pole height

VC cooling method

VC winding width (winding height)

VC OD (both D2 and D4 are different from the SA)

VC former vents

Enclosure requirements

Thermal power handling (SA has the advantage)

On the TL the SA's are between 0.5 dB and 1 dB louder

F3 in specified enclosure sizes and types (OA's play a smidge lower)

Both drivers do use a Nomex spider, flat sewn-on leads, and a triple joint reinforcement advantage.

Sundown SA 12's are ~$190, and Obsidian's are ~$130.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.