Which EQ to buy? Component/Coax recommendations

Firebird 1991
10+ year member

Stroked
Looking to do something a little different in my beater/gas getter

1995 GMC Sonoma regular cab, I currently have the following...

1) Pioneer deh-6300ub head unit

2) stock 6.5" speakers and stock 4x6" dash speakers.

3) Precision Power PPI 900.4 (Not hooked up)

4) AQ1200d (Not hooked up)

First thing i wanna do is get my mids and highs done. I want to purchase one of the following EQ's below, give me your guys suggestions.

Cadence MEQ 735 2yr Wrnty 7 Band Graphic Pre Amp Car Audio Stereo Equalizer EQ | eBay

New Audiopipe EQ 707X 7 Band Graphic Equalizer Car Stereo Line Driver in Dash EQ | eBay

Precision Power PPI E DZ 7 Band Dual Zone Car Equalizer EQ Auxiliary Input In | eBay

Soundstream MPQ 7XO 7 Band Car Audio Parametric Equalizer New | eBay

Or I have a Clarion EQS746 I could pull out of another car i dont drive to use but kinda wanted to scoop up a new one and try something else. (Im leaning towards the Precision power one above)

For speakers I cant decided if i wanna do a 6.5 coax or 6.5 component set and for the dash speakers im thinking of sticking a 5.25" component set in there or just the standard 4x6 speaker.

Idea here is a budget build. 5 months of stock speakers is too long.............been out of the game for a few years so any and all suggestions welcome. Once i get the mids /highs/EQ done i will be looking for a couple 8s or 10s to go behind the seats on the AQ1200

i have the Clarion EQS746, love it. ive had it for years and it hasnt flinched. id buy it again if something happened to it

Thanks for the input @nauc ive had good luck with mine as well. I may just buy another one so i dont have to pull the other one out in my other ride, but wouldnt mind trying something else either..

Looking to do something a little different in my beater/gas getter
1995 GMC Sonoma regular cab, I currently have the following...

1) Pioneer deh-6300ub head unit

2) stock 6.5" speakers and stock 4x6" dash speakers.

3) Precision Power PPI 900.4 (Not hooked up)

4) AQ1200d (Not hooked up)

First thing i wanna do is get my mids and highs done. I want to purchase one of the following EQ's below, give me your guys suggestions.

Cadence MEQ 735 2yr Wrnty 7 Band Graphic Pre Amp Car Audio Stereo Equalizer EQ | eBay

New Audiopipe EQ 707X 7 Band Graphic Equalizer Car Stereo Line Driver in Dash EQ | eBay

Precision Power PPI E DZ 7 Band Dual Zone Car Equalizer EQ Auxiliary Input In | eBay

Soundstream MPQ 7XO 7 Band Car Audio Parametric Equalizer New | eBay

Or I have a Clarion EQS746 I could pull out of another car i dont drive to use but kinda wanted to scoop up a new one and try something else. (Im leaning towards the Precision power one above)

For speakers I cant decided if i wanna do a 6.5 coax or 6.5 component set and for the dash speakers im thinking of sticking a 5.25" component set in there or just the standard 4x6 speaker.
The PPI should be fine. Go with 6'5" comps if the budget allows. More output than 5.25" and better sound stage than coaxials.

I'm for sure doing the 6.5s in the doors but i was gonna try and do a 5.25 set on the dash instead of the 4x6s if i can fit it cuz that would be louder then a 4x6 speaker for sure.

So being that this is a budget build what are some suggestions for a component set under $100, there is a handful of sets out there under a $100. Heres a few links to some that may be decent... Let me know your guys' opinion.

Precision Power BC 65C 110 Watts 6 5" 2 Way Car Component Speaker System 6 1 2" | eBay

PPI Precision Power 6 5" 240 Watt 2 Way Black Ice Car Components Speakers System | eBay

Pioneer TS D1720C 6 75 inch D Series 260 Watt Speaker Package New 012562881799 | eBay

A2 65C Precision Power 6 5" PPI 2 Way Component Speakers Tweeters Crossovers New | eBay

I'm for sure doing the 6.5s in the doors but i was gonna try and do a 5.25 set on the dash instead of the 4x6s if i can fit it cuz that would be louder then a 4x6 speaker for sure.
So being that this is a budget build what are some suggestions for a component set under $100, there is a handful of sets out there under a $100. Heres a few links to some that may be decent... Let me know your guys' opinion.

Precision Power BC 65C 110 Watts 6 5" 2 Way Car Component Speaker System 6 1 2" | eBay

PPI Precision Power 6 5" 240 Watt 2 Way Black Ice Car Components Speakers System | eBay

Pioneer TS D1720C 6 75 inch D Series 260 Watt Speaker Package New 012562881799 | eBay

A2 65C Precision Power 6 5" PPI 2 Way Component Speakers Tweeters Crossovers New | eBay
Always recommend Pioneer TS-D for this kinda stuff. No personal experience with others, so I can't say.

If you can go a bit higher these should come in under $150. These are pretty good for the price bracket. CS 6.5 | DD Audio

I have heard good things about the Pioneer TS-D components as well, but no first hand expierence. Anything comparable in the price range?
If there's a JBL comp set in this price range, those are generally good performers. Got JBL 628 coaxials for super cheap and they perform very well.

I installed Precision Power E.DZ years ago in a system that probably didn't actually need it. The vehicle owner liked the knobs so he got his knobs. You only get 4 EQ bands for the front speakers and 3 bands for the rear speakers. That's basically tone controls. I'm looking at the manual for your head unit and a picture of E.DZ. You would gain a couple more EQ bands centered at frequencies which the head unit doesn't cover precisely. The downside is the fixed Q, or width, which looks to be quite broad. I would give all of these 1/2 DIN equalizers a pass due to the fact that you will have a chance to introduce noise into the system at the small benefit of a little more control over the sound.

@trumpet thats great info and im glad to hear from you! I will skip the EQ for this install based on your response. Any input on the components? Ill be running my PPI 900.4 (gains set conservatively given the power ratings on the sets ive listed)

[quote name='Firebird 1991']@trumpet thats great info and im glad to hear from you! I will skip the EQ for this install based on your response. Any input on the components? Ill be running my PPI 900.4 (gains set conservatively given the power ratings on the sets ive listed)[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bother with component speakers for under $100. CDT MX-6CV is a good set at $149. MX-Designs, coaxials

Well come to find out my deck only has one set of pre-outs.... I went ahead and pulled the Clarion EQS746 out of my other vehicle so i will using it in order to run the 4 channel amp and my sub amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Firebird 1991

10+ year member
Stroked
Firebird 1991
Eastern Iowa
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date