Which car alarm?

Blue Fury
10+ year member

Quagmire's Chin
Ive searched and there aren't meny topics that describe an alarm that I want. Its for my 1996 Lumina with electric door locks and trunk release.

Budget 150-225

I want:

-An audible alarm, doesn't have to be insane loud, just attention getting, one that might even incorperate the car horn.

-A pager to tell me if its going off say if Im in class.

-At least 2 remotes- the main pager Ill keep with me then a backup to keep at home.

-Door lock/unlock

-Trunk open

-Panic button

-Realiability. The alarm on my other car is an orion and SUNLIGHT on a hot summer day will make it go off.

Dont want (or know I wont use):

-Remote start.. its useless to me.

-Fancy display on the remote

-A million different alarm tones

I read the topic started by Buck and the post from the 'pro installer' guy and am thinking about hood pins. The thing holding me back from getting them is that Ive only seen them installed on the outside [ugly]. If theres a way to install them underneath the hood or in a place that keeps them hidden, Ill think about getting them. Also thinking about shock and maybetilt. I know there a billion people that desire my blue 1996 Lumina but I know they're too scared to tow it away.

Im also thinking about installing a siren on the inside of the car too. Anything I should know that relates to that?

I will be installing this myself in a couple months when I install the majority of my stereo. Im not sure if I'll need anything outside of what comes with the alarm package so let me know.

Most importantly to go with the alarm suggestions, where can I get it? Id prefer online but I can go to major retail stores too if they have them for a good price.

Ive searched and there aren't meny topics that describe an alarm that I want.
Budget 150-225

I want:

-An audible alarm, doesn't have to be insane loud, just attention getting, one that might even incorperate the car horn.

-A pager to tell me if its going off say if Im in class.

-At least 2 remotes- the main pager Ill keep with me then a backup to keep at home.

-Door lock/unlock

-Trunk open

-Panic button

Dont want (or know I wont use):

-Remote start.. its useless to me.

-Fancy display on the remote

-A million different alarm tones

I read the topic started by Buck and the post from the 'pro installer' guy and am thinking about hood pins. The thing holding me back from getting them is that Ive only seen them installed on the outside [ugly]. If theres a way to install them underneath the hood or in a place that keeps them hidden, Ill think about getting them.

Im also thinking about installing a siren on the inside of the car too. Anything I should know that relates to that?

I will be installing this myself in a couple months when I install the majority of my stereo. Im not sure if I'll need anything outside of what comes with the alarm package so let me know.

Most importantly to go with the alarm suggestions, where can I get it? Id prefer online but I can go to major retail stores too if they have them for a good price.

Most alarms include those options and your price range

Viper python hornet and a few others are like the best you can buy. A lot of use prefer the 2 way transponders for our alarms. But something simple like that I would go with a Hornet 564T. This is the one I will be installing in my car probably when it gets warmer.

http://www.amazon.com/Hornet-564T-2-Way-Security-Remote/dp/B0009SWLFU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227451598&sr=8-1

or if you want a viper the viper 5701.

http://www.viper.com/P-5202V/Viper+5701+Responder+Le+2-way+Security+And+Remote+Start+System

Yah all DEI products are great, But i Really like Clifford like the clifford matrix 50.5X is a really nice alarm/rs, has 1 mile range, has 4 aux outputs so you can use your trunk pop, has a revenger siren which is pretty loud

i would say use Motion sensors, which are cool for some people, because u can leave your windows down, and if someone sticks a finger in, it goes off, so id say use a motion sensor and shock sensor, itll do the same as tilt

Oh ya, forgot about the motion sensor. As long as all of that is within the budget then its good. If I have not Ill have to start deducting sensors. Where to buy online?

Yah all DEI products are great, But i Really like Clifford like the clifford matrix 50.5X is a really nice alarm/rs, has 1 mile range, has 4 aux outputs so you can use your trunk pop, has a revenger siren which is pretty loud

i would say use Motion sensors, which are cool for some people, because u can leave your windows down, and if someone sticks a finger in, it goes off, so id say use a motion sensor and shock sensor, itll do the same as tilt
Same one I got. Has the prox sensor hooked up to it. But if you're gonna pay that much for an alarm, you may as well have them hook the whole thing up. Sounds like you want something like a viper 5900 or the clifford but don't want the installer to hook up all the features.

I live in Chicago, remote start from a long way away is a damm fine feature in the dead of winter.

I would not go with a prox sensor unless you have a convertible and leave it down alot, really a aps997a would be a good choice for you, i would however add a glass-break sensor. More importantly is the install, I would expect you to pay atleast 150-200 for a nice clean install in that car.

The install would be by me. It wont be rushed because my parents are great about letting me borrow their cars and if worse comes to worse, I could drive my chevelle.

I dont think Ill get a proximity sensor but the main thing I want are:

2 pager/fob remotes

2 horns/sirens

glass break sensor

door and trunk

Its narrowed down to clifford, viper and autopage.

Or trunk monkey relocated to the back seat.

Stick with DEI, Viper/Clifford.

To get two two way paging you will need one of their new units. The Viper 5701 is what you will want. It DOES have R/S even though you said you didn't want it but no other units come with two two way paging remotes.

If you don't need to two way paging remotes then you can get the Viper 3002. All of these have two way paging, trunk pop (possibly need relay), can use your horn as a siren (along with siren), shock sensor, unlock doors, etc.

For two sirens get a piezo for the interior and hook up the uincluded siren under the hood.

For glass break I think it is included in the Clifford series but you pay more.

Also, DEI has lifetime guarantee.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.