Which Cables and where to buy?

bumpin_blazer
5,000+ posts

Only the Strong Survive
Austin,TX
Well I just bought a new 55" Sony Grand Wega TV and I know monster makes great cables but are there any other i should think about? I'm getting an HD-DVR from time warner within a week or two and that has DVI input so should i get this for the HD signal:http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2441 ? My question is also any recommendations on where to buy them online?

There are lots of good cables, I usually recommend not settling for the cheap stuff simply because it doesn't last long. Good cables can last forever.

That DVI-HDMI would be fine if that's what the DVR has.

...and I know someone will disagree, but I think Monster Cables are probably the best cables you can get for "low" cost. Beyond them you're looking at the lower lines from: WireWorld, AudioQuest, StraightWire, Nordost, Kimber, Shunyata, Acrolink, etc.

You will get all the cables you need from Time Warner. My Time Warner digital box came w/ 8 different types of cables (I was going to buy a DVI cable as well, did not no they came w/ the box). No need to buy any extras, especially when those DVI cables run around $50-$100 for the decent ones.

...and I know someone will disagree, but I think Monster Cables are probably the best cables you can get for "low" cost. Beyond them you're looking at the lower lines from: WireWorld, AudioQuest, StraightWire, Nordost, Kimber, Shunyata, Acrolink, etc.
Wow you actually mentioned some good ones there.... But yea.... StraightWire, Nordost, and AudiQuest would be the ones I would go with....

You will get all the cables you need from Time Warner. My Time Warner digital box came w/ 8 different types of cables (I was going to buy a DVI cable as well, did not no they came w/ the box). No need to buy any extras, especially when those DVI cables run around $50-$100 for the decent ones.
what are you paying for hd with dvr? i have dvr right now and want the hd dvr but my fiance doesn't want to spend more money lol.

what are you paying for hd with dvr? i have dvr right now and want the hd dvr but my fiance doesn't want to spend more money lol.
They don't charge you anymore for the HD receiver if you already have a standard receiver (just tell them that you recently bought a HD TV). If you don't currently have DVR, then there is a upcharge if you add that and if you want the HD package, that is extra as well. They will most likely give you the HD basic service free for a 1-3 months, they did for me when I picked up my HD box (if they don't offer it, ask them for it). They want you to purchase the service, so they will temp you w/ a little free subscription. There are maybe 5 HD channels that do not cost extra.

I was one of those people who would always say, there is no need to pay for HD service because it's not much better than regular digital cable. I'm addicted to it now, I will be ordering the full HD service when my free subscription runs out.

Also when you go pick up your HD receiver, ask if they have any free Movies on Demand coupons. I was nice to/ flirted w/ the lady that helped me and she gave me 8 free movie passes. The only problem is that you have to either mail them w/ your bill or take them directly to the Time Warner building to pay your bill (I pay my bill online, so it's a hassle for me to redeem them).

I had to connect audio cabls as well for my TV to get sound while the HDMI cable was hooked up (there is a set of plugs just for the HMDI, right next to that connection and you will get those cables as well). I'm not sure if all TV's are like that but if frustrated me for about 20 minutes because I had no sound. I thought the HDMI cable transfered sound as well.

Just so you know, I pay roughly $110, give or take a few $$ (not including taxes) for digital cable, one HD DVR box, one basic digital box, all the HBO's, channels 1-99, Road Runner and digital phone (the best digital phone, not the basic package). Maybe your getting a better deal and maybe not. If not, ask them for something like my package. My package will go up a little, they throw in a lot of stuff for free or discounted for the first 3-6 months if you get a complete package.

WOOT! i'm off work and going to get and hook up my TV //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif. sadly i have 10 days worth of shows in my DVR so i can't get HD yet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif.

charter charges the exact same price for an hd receiver then a regular receiver wich is 6.99 a month

then they charge me 7.99 for the local hd channels and 18.99 i think for the hd tier wich is all of them like discovery universal and hbo hd

but i wanted to switch to a dvr they said 12.99 a month for either a standard def or high def

i told htem i wanted it they said $35 to install it even if i install... i told them forget it i just paid $35 to install my 3250 hd box like 2 months ago.

if your not watching hd on your tv your just wasting it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif hd>sd by a good margin

now get a good calibrating disc so you can set you brights whites and blacks right makes a day and night difference in picture quality

or you can get it isf calibrated like i did but its 350 for two inputs where i got and like another 150 for each additional one.

isf makes a huge difference to.

and like ive said its goes like this

sd

i'm still going blu-ray as i prefer the picture in the setups i've seen. i am getting hd dvr as soon as i can clear out my box, i've got some of my favorite shows from the past 10 days that i have to watch. i'd say 7-8 days i'll have the hd dvr:D.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.