Which amp to choose for sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mirza54000

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dubai
Hi guys,

I want to buy a mono amp for my sub and i have two options. I am getting both for 60 bucks and both are in mint condition. Below are my options.

My subwoofer

Hi guys,

I want to buy a mono amp for my sub and i have two options. I am getting both for 60 bucks and both are in mint condition. Below are my options.

My subwoofer
JBL is far better than Boss. With both you're going to run into the same issues where you'll have to throttle back your amp to 300W using ohm's law, but it's perfectly okay to pair a low power sub with a high power amp if you go about it correctly. I'm not sure what the amp will produce at 8 ohms, but I think it'll be too low to get the most of the subwoofer, so I'd go with 2 ohms and be very careful while setting it up.

I am using a sealed 14x14 box for the subwoofer. The sub gets very crazy at 2ohms on jbl. Is it because of the gains and bass boost?

I am using a sealed 14x14 box for the subwoofer. The sub gets very crazy at 2ohms on jbl. Is it because of the gains and bass boost?
In a sealed box 300W shouldn't "get crazy" but that's a very subjective phrase. You need to use ohm's law to set the gains or you're going to damage the subwoofer. For a 2 ohm load you should be seeing 24.5V at the terminals of the amplifier consistently with a 40-100hz -0db tone played. At least do 50hz and 80hz. The tones can be found on kicker's website here:

rmschartpm5-1.jpg

You'll play the tone without the subwoofer attached measuring with a multimeter on AC voltage, the highest value between each different hz value is the one you go with, and then turn up the gain until you reach 24.5V, anything higher will risk damaging your subwoofer. Start with the gain turned down to a barely audible level until you know which hz value is the highest value, if you're cranking the bass boost it'll probably be 40hz.

If your head unit allows for it turn your high pass filter up as high as possible while doing the test so that your subwoofer is more or less the only thing playing with that tone, and turn it up to the highest volume that you listen to in your car on the head unit.

If you're using an LOC you'll just have to turn it up as high as you regularly listen to it and deal with the noise coming from the speakers that you're tapping for the LOC. This shouldn't be higher than the extent to which the full range speakers start distorting.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.