Which 6.5 component set would be best for me for around $250?

Participant count
  • Participant list

SydneyACE

First post on the forum...

I'll start it off by gettting right to business picking your-guys' brains.

I don't know much about this stuff so, I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I'll be as detailed as possible.

My car is an 01 Chevy Corvette (the coupe, so it's like a "hatch-back" the seating area is connected to the trunk area). I'm assuming the interior volume of air in the car has some effect on certain choices...

I have no head-unit.

I was running a carputer (but the hard-drive died), just using my ipod for now.

I have 2 amps. The 1 for the sub is an Elemental Designs NINE.2. My sub died, so I'm looking for a new one.

I like the looks of the Polk MM1240. I've seen that for like $150.00 I don't wanna spend too much on a sub. The car is small and with the angle of the back window, the sub is loud without much effort. (Should I go DVC or not?)

As for the main questoin, I'm looking for some 6.5 components for around $200. My main concern is sound quality. I don't care about volume much. (I like it loud, but my definition of loud doesn't include the guy down the block hearing me coming.) I want to find a set that compliments my music tastes nicely.

They will be installed in the door panel.

I have an Elemental Designs Nine.4 to run the components.

The type of music I listen to is mostly hard-rock type stuff.

Ex. Breaking Benjamin, 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, etc.

I also do a little electronic/dub-step type stuff.

Ex. Awolnation - Sail, Alex Cross - Too Close

I'll post some more-specific songs in my next post if that helps.

I'm liking the looks of the MM6501 from Polk.

I've heard the Focal 165 A1 is "better" for the same price.

Long story short, I like punchy mid-bass in rock songs. I like to hear the synthesiser prominently in electronic/dubstep. I like to hear vocals and quitar prominently in acoustic music.

Help me out guys! What's gonna be my best choice for components for this type of listening? What's gonna give me goosebumps?

Thanks in advance!

I would recommend the PHD MF 6.2 kit for around that price range.

If you are willing to spend around 300, I would recommend the FB 6.1 kit

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.