Where's the Ground

Participant count
  • Participant list

MakkMar10

Bangin on a Budget
SoCal
Iv always had my systems installed by local shops, wasnt big on brands, never really pay'd attention after equipment was in. Well this time around I'm all in been researching a few months now (going thru much BS). Now I have a truck I want to DIY, myself, whatever. It's a 2002 Exploder an I'm mapping everything out. I would like to work with sum1 an get a real feel of wat I have to work with, SO ANYONE IN Southern California WAN'A HELP, IL PAY TO WORK WITH YOU ON MY SHYTZ. Anyway, I'm trying to find grounding spot in the rear for my amps and a future battery. I'm not sure the seats are bolted to the frame, are they? If not would I have to get under the carpet to find a spot?

does that truck have a frame ? if so i would drill a hole and put a 3 or 4" bolt throw the floor. that why you can put all your grounds on it plus you can take a length of ground wire on the underside of your truck. and ground that bolt to your frame.

i have an 88 truck and that how i have don't it. truck in avatar .

now you could use the seat bolt but it would be better grounding it to your frame.

do the big 3 also.

does that truck have a frame ? if so i would drill a hole and put a 3 or 4" bolt throw the floor. that why you can put all your grounds on it plus you can take a length of ground wire on the underside of your truck. and ground that bolt to your frame.
i have an 88 truck and that how i have don't it. truck in avatar .

now you could use the seat bolt but it would be better grounding it to your frame.

do the big 3 also.
So drill thru the floor and run cables down to the frame? I'd need grommets an self taps rite?

O I get it now....bring a bolt up from the frame into the cabin an use tht. Hmm interesting....

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a 2002 Exploder an I'm mapping everything out.
Sounds like a bad@$$ car, or one prone to fire (Pinto?)... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

All cars are different, but in my Sienna I grounded my underseat amp to one of the big metal seat bolts (after scratching off the paint on the metal below the bolt) that holds the seats to the frame. I know it's not recommended, but it seems to be working fine so far.

I actually just went out an checked in the lil trunk compartment an found lik 4 grommets tht drop straight to the frame, 2 on each side....YeaDoh

scratch pain away and use the area next to the rubber grommet, use your own screws and star washer. no factory bolts.
I was going to get to the frame one way or another....I'm just glad I found these in such a convenient spot. I ddnt wanna mount the amps on the back of the seats, il use the third row for kids frm time to time I do lil league FB. Anyway this is a perfect spot hopefully be able to cover them with plexiglass....after a good detailing haha

2002 Explorer $2500 frm auction

nice, lots of room.

ya you really should have your amp grounded to floor and to the frame. for me i just drilled a 1/2" hole in my floor, cut the head off of a 3" long 1/2" bolt. that way i can remove ether side ground cable.

i

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.