Where to mount usb?

if you only have 3ft, and don't get another cable, the glove box is pretty much your only option. Not sure what other suggestions you're looking for. Under the dash? You're going to need a longer cable to go anywhere else...

Looks like I'm going to buy a 6' USB cable to extend it to the center console. I looked at the glove box and while it would be easier to mount there, it would be better in the console. Are there any issues with extending the USB cable length as far as signal loss?

While on this topic... I'm getting ready to upgrade my HU as well, and would like to bring out both the USB and AUX-IN ports, either to the front of the dash somewhere, or as suggested, my center console. Either place would work.

My questions is;

Do you know if anyone offers a small plastic header with the USB and 1/8" audio jacks attached that you could mount in the dash or console? I know Hyundai includes these in their Santa Fe mini-SUV, which is very convenient, but I can't find them anywhere else. I've considered the little Hyundai header, but I can't even locate the Hyundai part to order one. Seems this would be a necessity when upgrading a HU with all ports on the back if you're handy enough to mount one. I just want them easily accessible from the drivers seat without wires hanging out the front. I like super clean installs. I have multiple locations I could mount the header - depending on the size. Any ideas? Any web sites to recommend?

Thx,

redjr....

You may be able to find something at a computer parts store. The thing I have in mind is a media reader type thing. It would require some modification.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3896256&CatId=942

That is too big and you only need usb and audio; don't know if they make anything like that. I know on some computer cases, there is a front port with USB and audio ports, you may be able to find something like that.

Might be pretty tough to find.

I guess you could just find an old computer case and rip the front ports off with usb and audio.

Yes. What I'm looking for from a car-audio standpoint is almost impossible to find. I've scoured the Internet to no avail turning up nothing. I can't even find the replacement part used in the Hyundai Santa Fe. It would almost be perfect. I may just have to go to a Hyundai dealer to order. I realize that I could hack something together using the same ports from a computer, but I have to believe these adpaters are available somewhere in the car world. With as big as car mods are today, surely there's a website offering all kinds of dash mounts for this type of thing. In fact, I find it hard to believe that the makers of head units would even put these ports on the back! What good is that? It's not like you can simply turn the HU around, or reach your hand in the dash when you want to plug something in! That's why I need to either find this adapter thingy or come up with one on my own. I prefer the former.

Thanks again,

redjr...

You may be able to find something at a computer parts store. The thing I have in mind is a media reader type thing. It would require some modification.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3896256&CatId=942

That is too big and you only need usb and audio; don't know if they make anything like that. I know on some computer cases, there is a front port with USB and audio ports, you may be able to find something like that.

Might be pretty tough to find.

I guess you could just find an old computer case and rip the front ports off with usb and audio.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.