where to ground??

wolf55
10+ year member

i got an alpine head unit... right now its just grounded through the harness (best buy did it)....

i get some whining noise that i hate..... so i was told i should do a chassis ground of the head unit...

can i do this chassis ground as well as leave the harness ground? (best buy warranty reasons)...

Also... crutchfield says to ground at the same location as the amp... (which is in the trunk)... some other websites say that is a common misconception... im so confused...

where should i do my chassis ground to?... the trunk or in the front??..

i got an alpine head unit... right now its just grounded through the harness (best buy did it)....i get some whining noise that i hate..... so i was told i should do a chassis ground of the head unit...

can i do this chassis ground as well as leave the harness ground? (best buy warranty reasons)...

Also... crutchfield says to ground at the same location as the amp... (which is in the trunk)... some other websites say that is a common misconception... im so confused...

where should i do my chassis ground to?... the trunk or in the front??..
what kind of car? just take a look behind the dash and find any bare metal you can, scrape it down with a screwdriver/sand it until it's free of all paint/debris and send a ground wire into there with a self tapper/washer, call it a day //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif...i'd disconnect their ground also though and just have it run solely off the ground you made. or you could take it back to them and have them do it for you, complain enough and they have to honor their lifetime warranty.

fyi, if you do void their warranty, you have a whole forum full of people who are willing to help you..

so.............. its better to remove the harness ground that have two grounds?.....

and chassis ground is the way to go rite?

thanks for the replies guys

so i should definitely remove the harness ground though?

is there anything wrong with two grounds?

if your getting noise from the harness ground it will still be there w/ another ground. you can pull the black wire out of the harness...play with the pin using a sharpass tool and youll figure out how to pull it out...when it comes time just click the harness ground back in

Are you running amps? If so, how are your rca's routed and are they near power wires? If not then it's probably your HU ground. I'd carry it back to BB and have them fix it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.