Where can I buy insurance for my car stereo?

JonM

I made this thread before but I forgot to subscribe to it and can't find it now. I'm tying to insure an 8;300 car stereo and I can't find any insurance company that insures that high. They all seem to top out at 2,500. I've tried using renters insurance. Two people I talked to at Allstate said that I could use renters insurance insurance to insure the stereo, but when I talked to a local agent they said I couldn't because renters insurance only covers stuff in the car that's not bolted down. Who do you gu A go throw that to insure your stereo?

Might want to either talk to a different company or contact your home owners insurance if you have any.

I know through home owners insurance, there are extended policies that can continue to cover far and beyond whats in and out of the house like renters insurance.

Another thought here-

I do not fully insure the value of all my installation in the vehicle.

Why?

Because i only insure what "can" be stolen or vandalized within reason.

Of course if the car gets stolen, that's bad, but generally what i do is this-

If using a box where the speakers are accessible, figure the recone value of the subs, install ALL batteries under something and run contacts from primary + and - up somewhere that's accessible so you can still manually charge them without ever really seeing them.

That way you need not insure the batteries.

For amps- if you can hide them or install them to where it would take over an hour to get to them, that's one less thing to insure.

Geico insures mine up to 5k

I think I could of gone higher, I just said it was work 5k and they okiedokiesmokie no problem.

State Farm also insured my system, they required pictures of the system.

If you're prior military, USAA might cover you. Just don't know how much though. I remember several years ago back in the mid 2000's my old Pioneer AVIC-N1 was stolen out of my vehicle along w/ some cd's. I called USAA since they broke the front passenger window and busted up my center console to steal my H/U. All they required from me was proof of purchase and when I was able to show proof, they asked if I wanted cash value (which was the depreciated value) or a new unit. I requested a new unit and they actually sent me the updated model at the time which was the AVIC-N2.

Geico insures mine up to 5kI think I could of gone higher, I just said it was work 5k and they okiedokiesmokie no problem.

Thanks, I haven't tried those two yet

Might want to either talk to a different company or contact your home owners insurance if you have any.
I know through home owners insurance, there are extended policies that can continue to cover far and beyond whats in and out of the house like renters insurance.

Another thought here-

I do not fully insure the value of all my installation in the vehicle.

Why?

Because i only insure what "can" be stolen or vandalized within reason.

Of course if the car gets stolen, that's bad, but generally what i do is this-

If using a box where the speakers are accessible, figure the recone value of the subs, install ALL batteries under something and run contacts from primary + and - up somewhere that's accessible so you can still manually charge them without ever really seeing them.

That way you need not insure the batteries.

For amps- if you can hide them or install them to where it would take over an hour to get to them, that's one less thing to insure.
That's a good idea, I don't think anyone's going to steal the sound deadening or alt. It's a 3 man job getting the speaker box out and there's not enough room to take them out without removing the box and disconnecting the amp rack through the back seat. The batteries are hidden in the spare tire wheel. I might be able to get away with 3 or 4K nstead of 8k.

Just make your stuff secure, and don't worry about insurance.

Last year my locking tailgate got screwdrivered and they broke the handle off. Luckily, they didn't get away with anything because of the other antitheft features installed.

Layer your security. It took me two days to get everything of value out of my truck and I knew how to do it.

The right way to do this, is to get an endorsement for your home owners or renters policy. I know you got some conflicting info, but it most likely came from non licensed people in the office, like a secretary. There's a few exceptions, but for the most part, its not legal for do discuss insurance policies with a non licensed person. (They can get in trouble, not you).

If you chose to insure, here's a few tips that may help.

-It is extremely important to accurately value your equipment prior to purchasing the endorsement. Don't play games. If you insure a $500 item for $1000, not only is the insurance company going to fight it, its against the law.You can't make money from an insurance claim.

-Along with proper valuation, make sure all details are gone over before then indorsement. Pictures, receipts, serial numbers, etc... Also, take the agent out to your car and show him everything. If you have a claim, your agent can verify that he actually saw the items in the car, when you speak to the claims adjuster.

-This is most important. If its not listed in black and white on your insurance policy, you're not covered. Insurance goes by whats in writing first, and verbal second. Always assume the insurance company is looking to screw you. If they don't, think of it as a bonus.

-Make sure you have an uninsured motorist endorsement on your auto policy. I know I said you don't recover anything from your auto policy, but in some circumstances, a 3rd party may be responsible for paying you damages. Like if you're in a car accident that's not your fault. Simply put, you're buying an insurance policy for someone else, in the event they don't have enough coverage.

Geico insures mine up to 5kI think I could of gone higher, I just said it was work 5k and they okiedokiesmokie no problem.

Thanks! I got insurance through State Farm.

Generally speaking a new stereo will not class as a risk altering modification. But it isn't the secret, that the car modifications refer to any changes or additions made since the car left the factory, which doesn't include manufacturer options that are factory-fitted. That is why we all know that kitting your car out with modifications like huge wheels, lowered suspension and a turbocharged engine will push up insurance costs. Frankly speaking, the cost of the insurance also depends on the firm, where you make it. For example, I make the insurance at the firm, which can find the right insurance at the right price, so I economy a lot on motor trade insurance.

Last edited:
It's definitely old, but still useful. I hate how some people ***** when people don't search before posting, then turn around and ***** because someone comments on an old thread. Not directed at anyone in particular.

It's definitely old, but still useful. I hate how some people ***** when people don't search before posting, then turn around and ***** because someone comments on an old thread. Not directed at anyone in particular.
I noticed how these older th threads are popping up at the bottom of the page ..I have no idea why ..I've almost posted in them before till I happen to look at the date and see its years old .

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JonM

JonM
Columbus Ohio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Popwarhomie