what's wrong?

garretttt4
10+ year member

big pimpin
Watertown sd
So my amp constantly cuts out when I turn it up very much. Not going into protect or blowing fuses. Just completely going off. I opened it up and a piece of glue fell out. I then noticed this wire is no longer connected and there is some little pieces of wire still stuck to the piece next to it, I'm not sure what It's called but it's in the pic . By the chord that is unhooked it says gnd. Just wanted to make Sure I should solder it on b4 I do so I don't ruin my amp on accident. Thx.....

IMAG0125_zpscec3f5c9.jpg

IMAG0126_zpscaa1bb07.jpg

IMAG0124_zps9c2cc288.jpg

[quote name='215sinastang']idk but it obviously looks like it goes there i say go for it but someone will deff chime in that knows what there talking about?
@ampjunkielikeme ;

Also what amp is that?[/QUOTE]

It's a sundown sae 1200d. And thx for mentioning him I don't know how to mention someone or I would have. Haha

[quote name='215sinastang']idk but it obviously looks like it goes there i say go for it but someone will deff chime in that knows what there talking about?
@ampjunkielikeme ;

Also what amp is that?[/QUOTE]

It's a sundown sae 1200d. And thx for mentioning him I don't know how to mention someone or I would have. Haha

that is the ground wire from the circuit board, to the heatsink.... some amps are picky about that ground wire...

got a soldering iron? solder the wire back on...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried peeling back some of the plastic casing that goes around wire and there is no actual wire? Like no copper strands or anything....? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

that is the ground wire from the circuit board, to the heatsink.... these kicker amps are picky about that ground wire...
got a soldering iron? solder the wire back on...
It's not kicker haha

Should I put a new piece of ofc speaker wire in place of this little wire? this wire that's on the amp now is prolly like 16 gauge wire like rem cable. The speaker wire is 14 gauge.... Should I just split the two speaker wire pieces like the pos and neg and just use one piece and glue it to circuit board and solder to the bracket or whatever?

It looks like the wire broke inside the casing try cutting a little further back up and see if you can get enough to solder it back to that ring terminal.

That still wouldn't explain why the amp turns off if I turn it up much. Cuz it can't be just touching for a second and turning on cuz I can't even see any actual wire in the wire itself....?

Should I put a new piece of ofc speaker wire in place of this little wire? this wire that's on the amp now is prolly like 16 gauge wire like rem cable. The speaker wire is 14 gauge.... Should I just split the two speaker wire pieces like the pos and neg and just use one piece and glue it to circuit board and solder to the bracket or whatever?
That's what I would do.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.