Whats the point of Huge VC on low RMS speakers?

splduck1978
10+ year member

Took a trip to the little boys room and was checking out my Parts Express Catalog and saw some Morel 6" drivers with 3" Coils. There is also a 10 and 12 that uses a 5.1 inch Coil. The RMS on the 6" is 150-300 and the 10's and 12's 500-1200. Whats the point of the huge Voicecoils?

Home stuff costs insane amounts of money, the least they can do is overbuild the driver a little.

Edit: Guess I'm assuming this is home audio stuff?

Lower inductance, greater BL, better cooling.. there are only advantages to using a larger dia. coil even with the same amount of copper..

My Opti 6.5" mids have a 3" voice coil.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Home stuff costs insane amounts of money, the least they can do is overbuild the driver a little.
Edit: Guess I'm assuming this is home audio stuff?
You are incorrect, it is car stuff! And they are not that expensive compared to the competition.

Lower inductance, greater BL, better cooling.. there are only advantages to using a larger dia. coil even with the same amount of copper..
My Opti 6.5" mids have a 3" voice coil.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
Le would be higher for a larger diameter coil due to more wire being in the gap.

But as was said....even though it's "low power" compared to a subwoofer, a larger diameter coil can improve power handling (and more importantly reduce power compression). Also, the diameter of the coil affects how the former attaches the cone, which can affect cone resonance and stability.

Just because it uses a 3" coil doesn't mean that it's built like a 3" coil that's on subwoofers. The coils on a mid doesn't need to be as long, and I doubt here are many, if any, mids that have 4-8 layer coils with as thick of wire as normal subs use.

Larger coil also means lower sensitivity(assuming the overall mass of the coil is higher).

A different pair of 3" vc morel mids (not uniflow) reviewed

poorly on Zaph because according to the review, there was

not enough spider to back it up.

Le would be higher for a larger diameter coil due to more wire being in the gap.

why would there necassarilly be any more wire in the gap ? If both are underhung that wouldn't be the case, and if they were overhung the topplate would be different, accordingly...

that said you are either making arbitrary statments or compairing apples to oranges... If you look a the coils alone a shorter wrap on a larger dia former will have less inductance, which is my point...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.