What's impedance rise and do I have to worry about it?

Syphlyn

Canada
Hey guys,

Starting my new build soon. I've heard a lot abut impedance rise and was wondering if it'll effect me and my build in anyway.

Putting the Sundown SAZ-2000D with my Sundown X12 in my 2000 F150 in this box

I've done a little reading/searching about it and still am not sure why it occurs and if it'll play a big role in my build.

Thanks

All systems have impedance rise. It varies application to application and varies by frequency, volume, power....

only way to know what you rise to is to clamp test your system

you are a worrier

big 3 in 0 awg

0 awg power and ground

run no lower than 1 ohm load

sub in box correct net space with correct tuning

after this nothing to worry about you have covered all your bases

if after this you get headlights dimming with AC on , on full tilt , upgrade your under hood battery

its not stupid when you are competing either. if you are just going for a daily system that you don't care if you get the most out of your equipment, sure, no big deal

It's not stupid when your 5000 watt amp is only averaging 1000 watts.
yeah but when most companies rate speakers they are using real world speakers that are also experiencing rise. A real 1000 watts of power where you actually compesate for impedance rise is a good bit of power. A real 45 volts will do damage to most speakers if it's maintained for long periods and that's only a true 1000 watts at 2ohms.. If you crank the voltage when things start to get hot to keep the wattage constant, most speakers can fail on a "real 1000 watts" even bigger drivers rated at 2k or higher. When companies rate drivers this is all taken into account since they use real amps, so they aren't seeing "full" power either.

SPL guys can get away with worrying about rise because they are only playing one frequency, making it something you can get a static figure on AND they only have to play a note for 3 seconds, making powerhandling MUCH higher than playing music.

For daily I don't worry about it. If you care, get a bigger amp than is listed as RMS and simply watch for overexcursion adn feel for things getting hot, beyond that who cares.

yeah but when most companies rate speakers they are using real world speakers that are also experiencing rise. A real 1000 watts of power where you actually compesate for impedance rise is a good bit of power. A real 45 volts will do damage to most speakers if it's maintained for long periods and that's only a true 1000 watts at 2ohms.. If you crank the voltage when things start to get hot to keep the wattage constant, most speakers can fail on a "real 1000 watts" even bigger drivers rated at 2k or higher. When companies rate drivers this is all taken into account since they use real amps, so they aren't seeing "full" power either.
SPL guys can get away with worrying about rise because they are only playing one frequency, making it something you can get a static figure on AND they only have to play a note for 3 seconds, making powerhandling MUCH higher than playing music.

For daily I don't worry about it. If you care, get a bigger amp than is listed as RMS and simply watch for overexcursion adn feel for things getting hot, beyond that who cares.
Gives me a good general idea about the subject, and I will worry no more!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.