Whats going on with this

Participant count
  • Participant list

jeffs42885
10+ year member

Experienced Noob
DFW
okay heres my issue..

I bought a speakerman box a few weeks ago and got it metered last week it did 140.8 which seemed mighty low, of course it was an old ac rta meter and everyone said it was off by several db.

my local shop has a show this weekend, and they got the meter in yesterday. i ran up, with 2 boxes.

2.5 tuned to 36hz

4.5 tuned to 45hz

So i play various tones on each boxes, the smaller box did 142.5 max (SAME EXACT METER) and the bigger box did 142.3. I don't see how this is possible, I really dont. I didnt see the meter when this was going down, so the owner of the shop coulda been jerkin me around, so that I use his box and give his box building skills some exposure.

I tossed the smaller box in the car, and headed to their show today.

So during the day I was playing my sub showing it off you know with the trunk open. I was playing bass i love you..then some ludacris...

smoke starts coming from the port.. I immediatly shut it off, and being the noob i am i went and talked to the owner of the shop.

he said that the sub had no backpressure thats why it was smoking.

meter time came around and I did a 142.1..which i was not impressed with.

can someone please explain to me what is going on and what the hell i should do?

Well, i MAY have to agree with the shop owner on that one. You were playing the sub with the trunk open, which is BAD. You probably over excurted the sub and fed it too much power.

Whats the power rating on that sub?

EDIT: You realize that power rating is only 750 RMS right? And you have a nine.1 on it, and probably playing music that is too low for the box. There's alot of factors going on here.

You ever open your trunk while playing your subs full tilt? You lose all trunk pressure when you open it, pressure that essentially keeps the sub under control.
x2. Never open a trunk while running subs pretty hardcore as the drasitic change in air pressure has a bad effect on subs.

I don't see how this is possible, I really dont. I didnt see the meter when this was going down, so the owner of the shop coulda been jerkin me around, so that I use his box and give his box building skills some exposure.
i'd say this is the problem //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

go to a real show and bring both boxes.

as far as the trunk being open - he was lead to believe the sub woudl take it fine, then the sub DOESN'T take it fine and poof, guess who's fault it is?

Doesn't sound like a shop you should trust... gotta be someone out there with a termlab.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.