What would you start with for a SQ system if you're building piece-by-piece ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mattsk42

SoDak
Basically, I can only get one "set" of things at once. So, a sub+amp, components+amp, or head unit. Right now the car is TOTALLY stock = Double-DIN, 5.25 comp. w/ tweets in A, no sub.

It will be a good 6 months to a year before the next "item", so I figured I'd get the best experience out of (cheap stock junk and a good sub) vs (HU and no sub) or (components and no sub), etc.

Open for suggestions of which of the 3 is best to start with.

ONLY goal is excellent SQ with just barely enough volume to be heard clearly when driving 75mph on a noisy road. No need for SPL at all and no competing at all. My car isn't overly noisy, I just put that there as reference to how NOT loud I would need it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Most people need MUCH more volume than I require.

Open for old skool stuff as well.

Budget is: What can I get for each 1, 2, or 3 to get it fully going for:

1. Less than $750

2. Less than $350

Less than includes tax, shipping, and does not mean = to.

So, like 350 for a sub+box+amp+cabling+whatever to hook it into current HU/system. Or 750 for HU+wiring harness, etc. etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you have now? If it's all stock I would start with a head unit. Decide what features you need, i.e. Bluetooth, USB, MP3/WMA/WAV etc., if you need to play CDs or DVDs, and so on. If you have a double DIN opening you should also decide if you want a big screen or if a small screen is acceptable in a single DIN format.

You can knock down a good chunk of that outside noise with proper sound deadening products and techniques. I would spend a few hundred dollars on that rather than a few hundred more watts of power.

It's stock now. My car isn't overly noisy, I just put that there as reference to how NOT loud I would need it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Most people need MUCH more volume than I require.

It's stock now. My car isn't overly noisy, I just put that there as reference to how NOT loud I would need it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Most people need MUCH more volume than I require.
The great thing about using sound deadening is it's like doubling or quadrupling your power, without adding more strain on your charging system. I'm not talking about slapping on a couple of layers of Dynamat. I mean actually blocking exterior noise. Take a look at Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information , particularly the CLD tiles, MLV, CCF, and 3M Thinsulate Acoustic products.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.