What would be the proper power setup to run a efficient 5k?

What would be the proper power setup to run a efficient 5k? I have experience under my bent so im not going crazy by just throwing batteries in my truck n such on a stock alt. im trying to start fresh and get everything I need to know to run a proper 5k. thanks for the help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/help.gif.cee8f684da1ba626487a8bc51152e1ec.gif

at least a 250 amp alt and a bank of 3000F caps( 6 caps)

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Oh and a good battery up front. like 1000CCA

5k rms clamped? you need the biggest alternator you can fit, 2 runs of 1/0 for power and ground, AGM battery (prefer two, plus a bank of caps imo)

thats what works for me anyways and im at about 3-5k clamped or ~500a of draw

some recommend more batts, some recommend caps. either works in the right combination with an appropriate alternator

5k rms clamped? you need the biggest alternator you can fit, 2 runs of 1/0 for power and ground, AGM battery (prefer two, plus a bank of caps imo)
thats what works for me anyways and im at about 3-5k clamped or ~500a of draw

some recommend more batts, some recommend caps. either works in the right combination with an appropriate alternator
When doing this, does it matter what side to run them?

I have RCAs on passenger side and ground/power on driver side. Running that many wires at 1/0 gauge would run out of area quick.

When doing this, does it matter what side to run them? I have RCAs on passenger side and ground/power on driver side. Running that many wires at 1/0 gauge would run out of area quick.
It does and doesn't. It's best practice to keep them separate for noise, but some have never had noise with them run together.

Might be a good idea to run it under the vehicle. Some of us are lucky with full size trucks we just run them zip tied along the frame rail and in the cab through the back wall or floor.

so would a 300amp alternator with 4 xs battreys or northstar ? would that be enough power along with 1/0 gauge wiring? what else would i need also what kind of amp or amps ?
that should be right on par with what you need assuming you're talking a decent size battery and 2 runs of 1/0

whats your budget for an amp? any objection to going brazilian?

[quote name='SuperScion9000']i dont mind what kind of amp what're some suggestions, i know its going to be expensive either way, also what kind of batteries? are xs supercells good too?[/QUOTE]

yes but i would get maxwell supercaps just for cost and being more well known. 2 banks of those, a HO alternator, and one 100ah or 2 50ah+ batteries and you'd be set

spend most of your money in the amp, HO alternator, subs, and the enclosure (encosures should still be cheap)

find a taramps 10k, banda 7k, or..
@Jeffdachef what are the good brazilians in this range now?

[quote name='wew lad']yes but i would get maxwell supercaps just for cost and being more well known. 2 banks of those, a HO alternator, and one 100ah or 2 50ah+ batteries and you'd be set

spend most of your money in the amp, HO alternator, subs, and the enclosure (encosures should still be cheap)

@Jeffdachef what are the good brazilians in this range now?[/QUOTE]

Is the maxwell supercap the 2.7v 3000f one ? How many would I get ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're not charging past 15V I'd go with the 2.5 2,600F ones. You would wire 6 of them in series to get operating voltage of no more then 15v. Then wire that bank of 6, parallel with your battery bank then caps connected directly to amp. The 2.7v 3000f will give you an operating voltage of no more than ~16.2v. Be sure to charge the bank of caps to operating voltage before connecting them to a battery bank!

[quote name='wew lad']yes but i would get maxwell supercaps just for cost and being more well known. 2 banks of those, a HO alternator, and one 100ah or 2 50ah+ batteries and you'd be set

@Jeffdachef what are the good brazilians in this range now?[/QUOTE]

taramps, sound digital, banda. Or alphard if you got $$$ but they made by sound digital anyways.

12 total caps, 2 banks of the 3000f

2.5 or 2.7 is fine

a quick search on google will get you pics of the different years wrapping and case size. i prefer the newer small caps but the older ones can be found for cheap. cycle life isnt of much concern but getting new cells helps with internal ESR when you're not balancing them. (getting confusing yet?)

12 total caps, 2 banks of the 3000f
2.5 or 2.7 is fine

a quick search on google will get you pics of the different years wrapping and case size. i prefer the newer small caps but the older ones can be found for cheap. cycle life isnt of much concern but getting new cells helps with internal ESR when you're not balancing them. (getting confusing yet?)
Where would I get those at I can't find any besides eBay, and what does ESR mean ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.