What will a bad ground cause?

When it cuts out are there any othe lights on the amp coming on?

It is a good idea to sand the ground regardles, but based on what you are saying, that likely isn't the problem. If the ground were the problem, the amp would cut out as soon as you turned up the volume instead of after a few minutes.

You said that the subs come back on when you wiggle the connectors for the sub. That indicates a loose connection. It is possible that the setscrew vibrates loose after it warms up. Loctite is your friend.

When it cuts out are there any othe lights on the amp coming on?
It is a good idea to sand the ground regardles, but based on what you are saying, that likely isn't the problem. If the ground were the problem, the amp would cut out as soon as you turned up the volume instead of after a few minutes.

You said that the subs come back on when you wiggle the connectors for the sub. That indicates a loose connection. It is possible that the setscrew vibrates loose after it warms up. Loctite is your friend.
No other lights turn on when my sub cuts out on the amp, just the power light.

The guy that did my install said my subs are drawing too much power than my amp can put out thats why my subs cut out. Is he right? If so, what solutions do i have?

No other lights turn on when my sub cuts out on the amp, just the power light. The guy that did my install said my subs are drawing too much power than my amp can put out thats why my subs cut out. Is he right? If so, what solutions do i have?
If that's the case (not possible really) then the gain is set too high and the installer is an idiot. Turn down the gain. Fixing the ground might help a bit, but it is most likely a gain problem.

Are my subs drawing too much power from my amp than my amp can handle? Thats why my amp is cutting power to the subs?

300RMS x 2 powered by 500RMS amp.

Do i need a bigger amp?

Are my subs drawing too much power from my amp than my amp can handle? Thats why my amp is cutting power to the subs?300RMS x 2 powered by 500RMS amp.

Do i need a bigger amp?

The problem you are having is in no way related to the power handling of the subwoofers in relation to the power output of the amplifier (not that the 100w difference would make any difference in performance to begin with). So forget about that.

Look into the things mentioned already in this thread....the gain setting, the possibility of loose connections, etc. Forget about whatever the installer told you and follow the advice that has been specifically given here in this thread.

have you changed the ground yet? have you changed or lowered the gain? have you done anything?
Im currently in SF right now, my car is in Canada. I'll be back in 3 weeks and ill be sure to do the things said in this thread. Thanks alot guys.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.