What will a bad ground cause?

jklfd
10+ year member

dB.v
Canada
Okay, I think the problem with my system is that the ground point is bad, but im not sure of it. I would take it to a local shop to check it out but im in the States right now and my car is in Canada. So my question is what will a bad ground cause?

The reason i believe the problem with my system is a bad ground is because a) it is grounded on paint not bare metal and b) when i turn the volume up to 25/35 and let it play for a while, my subs will cut out but my amplifier will still be on. I believe when the volume is turned up, more current is flowing, and since i have a bad ground it is unable to ground all the current properly so the amp cuts power to the subs. Am i right to think this?

note: when my subs cut out, sometimes i jiggle the wires from the amp terminal to the subs and i will get my bass back. I redid the wiring once before and it still happens. The amp is secured on the back of the subwoofer box. Can the vibrations of the bass cause the wires in the terminals to be loose?

I explained this problem to my friend and he said it sounded like a amp problem. I really really hope its not because i bought the amp on ebay and its too much of a hassle to get it repaired and i dont want to send it in for repiar if its something i can fix ie) wiring etc.

All your input is greatly appreciated. Please help me out with your expert knowledge! Thanks in advance guys

Easy solution for you - sand down a little of the paint where your ground lug attaches to //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif No point in taking it to a shop and having them tell you the same thing yet charge you for the time.

Definitely sounds like that could be the culprit...

So i should just use sand paper to sand down the paint?

Any way to keep the amp terminals from being loose?

Definately not a amp defect right?

I found out that my subs cut out completely is because theres too much power drawn when i crank up the volume. Is that true? A better ground should fix this right?

What does that mean? Sorry im new to car audio.
just saying when i do grounds, i use a 4" grinder and wheel and grind the paint off, put a small amount of vasoline on the area to prevent rust, then bolt the ground terminal down. seems to work the best for me.

just saying when i do grounds, i use a 4" grinder and wheel and grind the paint off, put a small amount of vasoline on the area to prevent rust, then bolt the ground terminal down. seems to work the best for me.
Sand paper wont do the job?

sand paper will do the job nicely, vasoline to prevent rust is a good idea too. I had the same problem with my subs a while back and the sub wouldn't cut out, but the output would audibly get lower. I sanded my grounds (cause my stupid shop didn't) and found a good, common ground point and the problem was solved.

what will a bad ground cause? resistance. with over time can harm the amp. etc.
Will it cause the subs to cut out completely when the volume is cranked?

My subs work fine when i turn off my car for a good 30mins.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.