What to do with unused wire?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kd_Frazier

NC
I ordered this head unit and it should be in the mail by tomorrow

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-MVHX560BT-Digital-Media-Receiver/dp/B00GS80OQ8

I've watched installation videos about install head units and speakers. I plan on using butt connectors until I can see if I can get up with my grandpa and get a hold of his soldering tool. As far as I know I won't be using two wires. The sub wire? and the amp wire? I'm getting a sub and an amp later down the road when I save up. What do I do with the wires for now? And just in case will 14-18 gauge butt connectors be good enough? That's what a friend told me. I'm new to this so no h8 pls.

You could crimp butt connectors on them then wrap the ends in tape. As long as they're insulated and not able to short out on anything it should be fine.

Basically what Mitch suggested. If the HU is new usually the wires are precut, but the insulation is left on them to cap the end.

79pinfwdannotated.jpg

If there flag labels on the wires they usually loop the wire back around and tuck them into these.

Personally, I cut them flush and put a dot of hot glue on the end to keep them from protruding out and making unwanted connections.

Basically you want everything secure so no wires touch any other connections they're not supposed to or anything else metal, creating a short.

Crimp connectors are fine. Soldering is best, but if the crimp connections are solid and snug it's not worth undoing them to re solder. You can wrap both unused wires and crimped connections in electrical tape, but electrical tape will dry out and flake off over time, plus it leaves a black mess all over your wires. A better option would be heat shrink tubing. You cut a piece to size, slip it over one wire, crimp or solder it, then move it over the connection and hit it with 105C of heat and it'll form a perfect seal. If you have a Harbor Freight Tools by you you can get a nice 100+ piece kit for a few bucks, but they should sell it at most hardware stores in various sizes. I used a hot air reflow kit with variable heat, but since you probably don't have one of those handy a hairdryer, a match, or lighter works in a pinch. Just hold it as far as possible and move in 'til it shrinks. Too much heat or contact with flame will burn it up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.