What to do? w7's..

boomzabit
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Minnesota
Ill start off by saying I wasn't going to install a sub stage in my truck and if I did I would keep it small and simple. Last summer I bit the bullet and decided it was time to put my old Kicker kx 1200.1 that I had laying around to good use. I ended up buying a set of old school (but like brand new) Alpine Type R 10's to run sealed under the rear seat of my 05 silverado. I purchased a subthump box and a stinger 4ga wiring kit and got everything hooked up. Im somewhat bored of the 10's and its more then likely because im feeding them roughly 300 watts a piece and they are facing the floor under the rear seat. Maybe im weird but I like to be able to see my speakers when im listening to music at higher volume so I tossed around the idea of selling the "under the seat box" and was going to look for a dual 10 sealed box to set on the rear seat behind the drivers seat. So I went on Craigslist and starting searching and came across someone selling a set of 10" w7's, which turns out to be sold.. I always liked something about the w7's and even the w6v2's. So I starting to searching for those exact woofers and I seen someone selling a single 13.5 with a Jl 1000/1, not exactly what im looking for but Im in the market for a w7 or two so I texted and got some info. We ended up working out a price on the sub and amp (Figured id ditch my kx 1200.1 for the JL due to the JL being a bit more of a well rounded amp 1000w at 1ohm-4ohm..). I ended up meeting with the guy and he brings along the amp and the 13 w7 as well as a second 13 w7, he said he also has a second 1000/1 but figured hed bring both subs so I could look them over and pick the w7 I wanted. (They were both in great shape) when I seen both subs together something clicked and said "I have to buy both subs". We BS' d for a while and I eventaully got him go sell me both w7's. (He told me twice he wanted to keep one) so I purchased both subs and left without the amp.

I cant make up my mind what route I should take. I know I want to run one of these w7's for sure, that will require the removal of my back seat (which is fine at this point). Im thinking of a having a nice ported box made up for one. Im looking for basically all SQ I want nothing but low deep clean bass. The other thing is should I keep my kx 1200.1 around or consider the JL 1000/1 or look for a bigger more powerful amplifier? Keep in mind my truck is an 05 silverado stock electrical 4ga wire. I would consider 0ga wire and the big 3. My battery under the hood is still good otherwise I would upgrade to an X'S or Kinetik.

If some of you folks know what these w7's like for space and tuning as well as power id love to know. Basically Im looking for the best SQ and output is a close second.

You have that much space under the seats of a truck?
Sorry, I submitted the first part of my post before I was finished. I am considering folding up my rear seat. Or taking it out completely.

I say run the jl amp because it puts out numbers 1.5-4 ohms wich is amazing IMO. But w7, idk if your set thats cool but id along with alot of other people go with something else

I say run the jl amp because it puts out numbers 1.5-4 ohms wich is amazing IMO. But w7, idk if your set thats cool but id along with alot of other people go with something else
That sub is GOOD just a little over priced. They get very loud and clear.

That sub is GOOD just a little over priced. They get very loud and clear.
Thats why i said its cool, because i know its a good sub just over priced, unless you can get it for wholesale or less

I always liked the fact that the JL amps did rms at 1.5 through 4ohm.. or at least thats how they rated them. I now see RF is rating their T series amps the same way? I think im going to try and get the JL off the guy cause like the w7's the amp is pristine. Ive been out of the game for awhile but poke my head in every now and again and the one other sub that has my attention is the Sundown X. I assume the w7 would be a close contender to that subwoofer?

Thats why i said its cool, because i know its a good sub just over priced, unless you can get it for wholesale or less
I dont think I could get myself to spend what most dealers want for the higher end JL products.

Lol he just got 2 bro. prolly for a steal too since he got them on the streets instead of a dealer.
I wouldn't say a steal but I saved a ton over buying brand new. Buying a 13 w7 was an impulse but it went twice as far when I seen both w7's sitting next to each other. Originally I was wanting 8's then figured id look for 10's.. here I am with 13.5's.. As of now I cant get myself to sell the second one because im telling myself that down the road id like to be able to properly run both.

If I can come across a set of 8's or even 10's i will mostly dump one of the 13.5's. From what I've found online folks have been saying the 13.5's like every bit of 1500 watts. Thats kind of my weak point cause I dont have the power supply for 1500 watts of real power.

I always liked the fact that the JL amps did rms at 1.5 through 4ohm.. or at least thats how they rated them. I now see RF is rating their T series amps the same way? I think im going to try and get the JL off the guy cause like the w7's the amp is pristine. Ive been out of the game for awhile but poke my head in every now and again and the one other sub that has my attention is the Sundown X. I assume the w7 would be a close contender to that subwoofer?

I dont think I could get myself to spend what most dealers want for the higher end JL products.

I wouldn't say a steal but I saved a ton over buying brand new. Buying a 13 w7 was an impulse but it went twice as far when I seen both w7's sitting next to each other. Originally I was wanting 8's then figured id look for 10's.. here I am with 13.5's.. As of now I cant get myself to sell the second one because im telling myself that down the road id like to be able to properly run both.

If I can come across a set of 8's or even 10's i will mostly dump one of the 13.5's. From what I've found online folks have been saying the 13.5's like every bit of 1500 watts. Thats kind of my weak point cause I dont have the power supply for 1500 watts of real power.
Lmao I know for a fact they can take 2k daily and I'd be willing to bet they could probably take 2.5k.

Per sub btw.

If I were you, seeing as how you want more SQ than SPL, I'd go with a sealed box. Especially in a truck. A ported will make it sound muddy. JL gives box dimensions straight from their website. As for the amps, start looking at the T1500 as well. Great amp. 1500 watts at 2 and 1 ohm. I'd set up one amp per sub. JL's can really take a beating and the W7's love power. Remember, it is best to overpower your subs than to under power. For positioning the boxes, build a single box for each sub and place them on the floor on each side. Many people love watching their subs move, but box positioning is everything. I faced mine backwards. It just sounds the best IMO.

Lmao I know for a fact they can take 2k daily and I'd be willing to bet they could probably take 2.5k. Per sub btw.
I've heard that many people feed them 2k daily with no issues.

If I were you, seeing as how you want more SQ than SPL, I'd go with a sealed box. Especially in a truck. A ported will make it sound muddy. JL gives box dimensions straight from their website. As for the amps, start looking at the T1500 as well. Great amp. 1500 watts at 2 and 1 ohm. I'd set up one amp per sub. JL's can really take a beating and the W7's love power. Remember, it is best to overpower your subs than to under power. For positioning the boxes, build a single box for each sub and place them on the floor on each side. Many people love watching their subs move, but box positioning is everything. I faced mine backwards. It just sounds the best IMO.
Ive read that w7's dont like Sealed boxes but a sealed box should be easy enough to make a do alittle testing.

Amps im considering are the used 1000/1, Rockford T1000 or T1500 if I can power it or a newer kicker kx 1200.1 maybe even a 1600.1

Please stop posting for a while.

The W7s do good sealed but like most anything do much better ported. Don't go off JLs specs go 50% bigger. They are dual 1.5s so find a amp that does 3500 at 1 ohm. Wire to 1.5. That will need a aftermarket alternator.

You just never heard a well designed ported box. Many prefabs out there are made horribly and made for SPL purposes which give ported boxes a bad rep. In most cases, ported can sound better than sealed side by side only if they are made with the right specs. There's less room for error going ported so it can certainly sound muddy if tuned wrong. The problem with many mainsteam ported boxes are that it's too small and it's tuned too high. They make it like this to fit in almost any car so they make more sales out of it. I would always go for a custom ported box if I had a choice. SQ has more to do with transient response than just simply sealed vs ported.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

boomzabit

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
boomzabit
Minnesota
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date