What subwoofer should I get? Yes. I just asked this question. I really went there.

cybertron131

Florida
The reasons this question exists is because I'm not too confident in my self, and also since the tracks I listen to are taken into consideration.

Let me prepare the list from the sticky:

I want:

- 2 15 inch subwoofers

$190 per sub

- Kicker CXA1800.1 which will give 900w RMS on a 2 ohm load (2 4ohm subs bridged)

*edit*

It's actually 1800 watts total rms divided by 2 so both subs will be getting 900rms sorry for the confusion if any

As long as it fits in a 2013 Corolla S trunk (41" in length)

-Goals: bass that hurts my ear drums. Bass is supposed to do that, right? I felt real, physical pain in both of my ears when listening to bass demos at my local shop. I want that kind of bass experience that when people walk out of a ride they go "Holy **** I'm in another world and my chest feels funny" other than the typical "Oh, that was cool. He had a subwoofer" reaction.

Listening habits: Hip hop, rap.

Drake, Tyga, Meek Mill, Kanye West, Rae Sremmurd

Track examples:

1. Clyde Carson - Slow Down

2. Tyga - 40 mil

3. Drake - Know Yourself

4. Asap Rocky - Multiply

5. Rae Sremmurd - Perplexing Pegasus

Preferred brand: Well, what has the most excursion? I'm under the impression that this is what makes the most difference.

Edit: The box I'll be using will be sealed

Last edited by a moderator:
The reasons this question exists is because I'm not too confident in my self, and also since the tracks I listen to are taken into consideration.Let me prepare the list from the sticky:

I want:

- 2 15 inch subwoofers

$190 per sub

- Kicker CXA1800.1 which will give 900w RMS on a 2 ohm load (2 4ohm subs bridged)

As long as it fits in a 2013 Corolla S trunk (41" in length)

-Goals: bass that hurts my ear drums. Bass is supposed to do that, right? I felt real, physical pain in both of my ears when listening to bass demos at my local shop. I want that kind of bass experience that when people walk out of a ride they go "Holy **** I'm in another world and my chest feels funny" other than the typical "Oh, that was cool. He had a subwoofer" reaction.

Listening habits: Hip hop, rap.

Drake, Tyga, Meek Mill, Kanye West, Rae Sremmurd

Track examples:

1. Clyde Carson - Slow Down

2. Tyga - 40 mil

3. Drake - Know Yourself

4. Asap Rocky - Multiply

5. Rae Sremmurd - Perplexing Pegasus

Preferred brand: Well, what has the most excursion? I'm under the impression that this is what makes the most difference.
U need to be 150db+ to feel the hurt your ear drums type of bass. Excursion isn't everything. No woofers on the amp you have will hurt your ears. Best bet is some sundown E subwoofers on the power u have.

Not going to happen. Corolla trunk is small. 2 15s ported is not going to fit. The sundown LCS and FU audio 300 series only come in 4 ohms so they won't work with your power being at 2ohms. Sundown E 12s get my vote.

So pretty much 15 inchers are out of the question
yeah what your goals are, sealed boxes ain't gonna do a god d@mn thing to achieve anything absolute garbage in that aspect. Niether is going with kicker with your equipment choice.

I was a former corolla owner myself and its hard to get loud in those cars man. Sealed was always the most quiet setup in the car.

Id do a pair of 12s in a 4.0 to 4.5 cubic feet box tuned to 38hz. on 2k-3k watts. Soundqubed hds 312 are the subs you want. for an amp this is where the big boys shop Amps - SHOP BY BRAND - Page 1 - SSA STORE. IF thats out of your budget, you can settle for finding an orion xtr 2500.1 or even an audiopipe apcl 3000.1. I'd avoid the american bass phantom and hybrids along with any hifonics amps. The normal expensive american bass VFL are good tho. Just nothing else.

For the prep work, get two AGM batts in the rear or one big one. If possible upgrade your alternator.

0 gauge ofc kit

big 3 upgrade 0 gauge as well.

lots of "great stuff expanding foam(red can)"

stinger expert road kill

A 4 volt head unit with 24 bit dac, 13 band EQ or higher, time alignment and network mode. This step is important, without a good head unit signal you arent getting loud, the stock head unit is garbage and Line output convertor setups WILL NOT get loud in a corolla. Literally will go from sounding like door speaker bass to REAL subwoofer bass with a proper signal line.

Rip all the upholstery out of the trunk and deaden the whole trunk and rear deck with the roadkill, absolutely necessary.

Use spray foam on every little tiny gap or crack you find until everything is solid, especially the trunk lid and rear deck.

Get rid of the rear deck panel thats just gonna be a rattle monster, use carpet or something to cover up the metal.

This is what steps i had to take to get my corolla crushing lungs and making passengers cry with a single 12 on 2k. Done right, you should be louder than that. which is when your setup starts to crush lungs.

so this was my old OLD setup

before i did any prep with just a single 500 rms 15 inch sub in ported box, as you can see with a single 15 already takes up the whole trunk. This setup was cool and to most people they couldnt breath but that aint sh*t compared to my real setup afterwards. the setup in that video is about 139 db. The setup after is closer to a 148 db thats when things actually got fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
i got it from here gramps. I had a corolla before. 1 12 in a ported aint gonna do sh*t unless its a 60-80lb monster 12 on 3.5k watts rms. Guy is looking to choke some b*tchs, not tickle their ear drums.
lol.. head hurts from re doing box designs and getting same thing within .05cf and 2/10's of a db anyway.. wish guy would call me about starting on box so i can give him final draft and never draw up a box again lol..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.