What settings should my head unit and amp be on when setting gain with a DMM?

chuckle490
10+ year member

Should my loudness, built in eq presets, or my bass level be turned up on my head unit when setting gain using a DMM? Should I have any bass boost enabled on my wired bass remote with my amp? Also what is a good LPF for two 12 inch Kicker DVC CVR's in a ported box? Thanks for any help!

Should my loudness, built in eq presets, or my bass level be turned up on my head unit when setting gain using a DMM? Should I have any bass boost enabled on my wired bass remote with my amp? Also what is a good LPF for two 12 inch Kicker DVC CVR's in a ported box? Thanks for any help!
i believe it should be set to FLAT with everything at 0, bass boost off, lpf 80 i believe, and loudness off aswell ( unless ur like me and have it on so my volumes 0-50 instead of 0-25

I don't use loudness, this will give your audio more presence at lower volume levels by boosting certain frequencies.

I set my eq with an RTA using a calibrated dayton emm6 mic

bass level 0

lpf--80hz seems like a commonly used setting. If you want more mid bass you could go higher but this introduces a lot more audio concepts and if your going for SQ you might want to get familiar with your overall frequency response and then set accordingly

In as few words as possible. Your sub amp's lpf is used to blend your mids with your subwoofer. By blending I am referring to frequency gain. For SQ you want a smooth transition between your subwoofer and your mids.

I'm not really going for sq, I'm going for spl. So If I set the gain without any bass boost active, when I turn the bass boost up wouldn't I run the risk of blowing my subs?

set everything on the HU FLAT, (all 0), then set the amp with DMM

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

I'm not really going for sq, I'm going for spl. So If I set the gain without any bass boost active, when I turn the bass boost up wouldn't I run the risk of blowing my subs?
and dont use the bass boost on the HU or the amp unless you know what your doing so you dont destroy your equipment

set everything on the HU FLAT, (all 0), then set the amp with DMM 

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

and dont use the bass boost on the HU or the amp unless you know what your doing so you dont destroy your equipment
why shouldn't I use bass boost? What the point of having the bass remote if I am not going to use it?

you shouldn't use it anyway......... if set up correctly through your headunit there is no need. I hate them IMO cause more trouble than anything

you shouldn't use it anyway......... if set up correctly through your headunit there is no need. I hate them IMO cause more trouble than anything
Really? Can you explain why? And will it be loudest with eq flat and the gain set properly?

No it'll be loudest when you turn everything up , but it'll last prob 5min befor your amp cooks itself or your speakers blow.

do some research befor you destroy your system

any time you boost an audio signal beyond what it was recorded at...aka bass boost...you are opening the door for clipping and distortion. While this signal will have more "power" you destroying the integrity of the signal (clipping). This will introduce an excess build up of heat in your voice coils and possibly your amplifier. This is how speaker and amps are blown

any time you boost an audio signal beyond what it was recorded at...aka bass boost...you are opening the door for clipping and distortion. While this signal will have more "power" you destroying the integrity of the signal (clipping). This will introduce an excess build up of heat in your voice coils and possibly your amplifier. This is how speaker and amps are blown
Ok so i will still getting the most possible out of my subs by setting the gain properly. And the eq preset should be flat right?

Ok so i will still getting the most possible out of my subs by setting the gain properly. And the eq preset should be flat right?
If you're using a bass knob, set the gains with the bass knob connected and cranked all the way up. Never boost the signal any more than it was when you set it with a DMM

Also make sure to set the LPF around 80 and the subsonic filter around 5-10 Hz below your box's tuning

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.