What order to replace the parts in the system?

Participant count
  • Participant list

SomeGuyDude
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So let's say one is embarking on a full-on audio upgrade of the car system. Everything's coming out, gonna put in all fresh parts. So the question is, what order would be the smart way to replace everything?

My gut would say go: 1) subs/amp, 2) dash-unit, 3) front stage (upgrading the electrical system as necessary). But a big part of that is that I just want the bass now. I already have the amp sitting around, so should I just go like I'm planning, or pick up a new dash now, worry about the speakers down the road?

How'd YOU do it?

Depends if you consider what's above 80Hz or so to be the most important, or what's below.

Personally, I could live without subs if the front stage was stout enough, so I'd replace the source unit and front stage first. The subs would be the last thing on my mind.

Depends if you consider what's above 80Hz or so to be the most important, or what's below.
Personally, I could live without subs if the front stage was stout enough, so I'd replace the source unit and front stage first. The subs would be the last thing on my mind.

This.

I love subs, I truly do, but if my front stage is not up to par at least, I find it lacking. Cant really enjoy music without a decent front stage IMO.

Ive gone months to a year or so without subs, only went without a front stage when I didnt have a HU installed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I admit it's becoming tempting to sort of start at the front of the car (the head unit) and work my way back. I'm just not sure I can stave off my addiction for bass for that long. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

It occurred to me as an issue when I realized that without a new HU my front speakers probably would still be trying to play all the bass tones, meaning I wouldn't get the added clarity that comes with taking the sub-80Hz load off of your mids/highs (unless I'm wrong, which does happen frequently). Plus it'd be cheaper/easier than the giant re-wiring mess.

Definitely start with the headunit. If you have a stock unit, it often times takes some nigger rigging to get the sub/amp working. And if you get all that working, you're gonna have to replace it when you wire up your headunit. I suggest

Headunit-> front stage amp -> front stage speakers->subs and amp.

Rear fill comes after front stage, if necessary.

Also, may i suggest sound deadening? Its a HUGE, noticeable difference even with a fully stock system. If you can afford to have your car out of commision for a weekend, i'd start with taking apart the interior to deaden, and go ahead and run all wires, and do it all at once. That, of course, depends on your skill level, experience, and amount of time you can go without driving lol!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.