What kind of table saw do you use?

Don't get a dewalt, craftsman, rigid, or any other big box store brand. They aren't built to last, or hold resale value-- they're throw away's. Cruise craigslist and find a good unisaw or like. Festool makes a very nice guide rail saw also which cuts extremely clean and very accurately. Buy quality. "The poor can't afford to buy cheap goods". (Not saying that YOU are poor--- aren't we all?)

Don't get a dewalt, craftsman, rigid, or any other big box store brand. They aren't built to last, or hold resale value-- they're throw away's. Cruise craigslist and find a good unisaw or like. Festool makes a very nice guide rail saw also which cuts extremely clean and very accurately. Buy quality. "The poor can't afford to buy cheap goods". (Not saying that YOU are poor--- aren't we all?)
I hear what you're saying and feel the same way. It's better to buy a single toaster costing $100 that will last through the years rather than five toasters costing $20 each. That said, I have the Rigid mentioned earlier. I will not buy garbage and it passed all my tests. The motor is solid and quiet, the table is cast iron and true, and the fence is tight and accurate. I've moved three times and never had to recalibrate it. Makes razor sharp cuts and saves me tons of time. Still serving me ten years later and shows no signs of letting up any time soon. At $550 it was well within reach and performs just as well as the $2000+ Delta that was in our shop.
Occasionally value and quality can be had together. Just have to know why you're kicking the tires when you're cosidering a purchase.

TS3650_2_3C.jpg

I 2nd the rigid. I have the newer model has the largest table capacity of any of the smaller table saws folds up to almost nothing and is really easy to move which unless you have a huge shop you will do more than you think. Buy a good 60 or 80 tooth blade and when you buy your Mdf have the store rip it into manageable pieces and make sure they leave at least one factory edge cut.

I guess if your only cutting MDF, or various other weekend warrior types of things, these saws are fine. I bought a rigid and recall liking it better than my craftsman hybrid saw years ago. It was fine for light duty stuff, with a good blade.

Although, often found on craigslist for $500 or less, are 3hp or better single phase saws with heavy cast iron tops which accept out feed tables and wider capacity fences, while your only limited to what ever the box brand saw can deliver, usually never much more than 24" of cut width. But sure, of all of the box store saws, I would agree the rigid is probably the best one I've used.

I hear what you're saying and feel the same way. It's better to buy a single toaster costing $100 that will last through the years rather than five toasters costing $20 each. That said, I have the Rigid mentioned earlier. I will not buy garbage and it passed all my tests. The motor is solid and quiet, the table is cast iron and true, and the fence is tight and accurate. I've moved three times and never had to recalibrate it. Makes razor sharp cuts and saves me tons of time. Still serving me ten years later and shows no signs of letting up any time soon. At $550 it was well within reach and performs just as well as the $2000+ Delta that was in our shop.
Occasionally value and quality can be had together. Just have to know why you're kicking the tires when you're cosidering a purchase.

TS3650_2_3C.jpg
I have an older Craftsman( bought it new 18 yrs ago) and even though I should replace the motor with a better one it has been a good saw. It has the exact same cabinet and fence setup as this Rigid. My neighbor sells tools(Whittonsupply.com) and has for 18 years for the same company(almost all major brands, no flea market stuff) and even though they sell Rigid he would not recommend them to me. They also repair and he has seen a lot of them come back. Craftsman and some of the others are not manufacturers, at one time but not sure about now but Ryobi made most of Craftsman branded electrical tools. You don't need a state of the art saw to build boxes. A older solid saw with a good fence, carriage and top with a shot motor is your best bet. Put some money in a true 3-5 hp motor. Saws and most shop equipment is rated at developed power which is much higher than actual hp. Unisaws are my all time favorite but even used prices are way up there I've cut a lot of plywood with a skillsaw and 2x4's. If your not going to use it a lot buy a good skillsaw.

I have a Porter Cable table saw (large one) and that Ridgid would be an excellent choice as well as I myself have numerous Ridgid brand tools...

For a stationary table saw, the contractor models are adequate for just about anything. My Craftsman 10" has served me well for 30 years. Things I look for - Cast iron main table. 10" blade, at least 1 HP motor, rip capacity more than 24" (to get to the center of a 4X4 sheet). Gotta have a nice fence that moves easily and is repeatable.

Of the Taiwanese stuff Grizzly is hands down the best. It's a USA company and they have parts here in the US and great customer service.

This one would do fine:

Grizzly.com

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.