What is this noise???

Participant count
  • Participant list

stay_high
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Florida
Just put in a new component set and amp. If i turn the gain past quarter way up i get this wierd noise from the speakers. Its a constant high pitched whine. It gets louder as i accelerate, and changed pitch when i change gears (go from park to reverse to drive). I was just trying to set the gains with a dmm, and when i turned the gain up almost half way, the speakers made a VERY loud "dddrrrr" sound and i turned it back down real quick. I had a different set of speakers on a differnt amp a few weeks ago and they made these same noises. So that rules out the speakers and amp. I thought it may be alternator whine. However the speaker wire for the right speaker and tweet are not running over any other wires (power ground rca's) and it makes the noise along with the left one. The noise is only audible at lower volumes. I had best buy install the amp (I just switched amps kept the wiring they did the same.)

Anyways im running ppi a2.65c components on a kicker zx550.2. My HU is a JVC Arsenal kd-ahd65.

If it is alternator whine, why would the right speaker be doing it when the speaker wire for it is not ran over any other wires? and what the hell was that loud "ddrrrr" noise when i turned the gain up? (i was not playing any music at this time but car was running and amp was on).

God dammit best buy wtf. Could this effect sq as well? Guessing this means its a bad ground or what?

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Ground issue, most likely.
Hey whats up av. Lol it never ends huh?

where is your kicker grounded?
Not positive. Grounded somewhere under the carpet thats underneath the drivers seat. Its like, a little hole in carpet that the ground wire goes too never wanted to rip a bigger hole to look. Always just assumed they would know what they where doing and ground in the right place.

Not positive. Grounded somewhere under the carpet thats underneath the drivers seat. Its like, a little hole in carpet that the ground wire goes too never wanted to rip a bigger hole to look. Always just assumed they would know what they where doing and ground in the right place.
Big mistake. I want pics of Best Buys' grounding job before you fix it, lol.

Be right back!
Nevermind its too dark outside and i coudnt see enough. Was trying to fit the camera flash on my iphone into the slit cut in the carpet and get a pic of the ground. But was too hard ill get it first thing tomoro.

now that i think about it. This noise got louder when i installed my jvc HU. I hear something about ground the RCA's on some pioneer units gets rid of this. Should i try that?

well i relocated the amp to the trunk and grounded in a good spot. I know its a good spot because its the same place my sub amp has been grounded to for years just on the other seat. But now when i turn gain up close to half way and i turn HU volume up i get a loud "wwhhhhoooooooo" sound. Keeps making the noise for a few seconds even after i turn HU volume to 0.

Big mistake. I want pics of Best Buys' grounding job before you fix it, lol.

2012-10-17111022.jpg

Not trying to hijack the thread, here is a pic of a ground from best buy. They used three screws and wedged them because the ring terminal diameter was too big. Instead of using one screw with a washer and lock washer. Also, the brownish part on one of the screws is where it was shorting to ground and causing amp to go into protection mode and possibly blew the subwoofer. The best part, when I called they denied a bad ground or short to ground would cause a sub to blow.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.