What is best wiring setup for my sub and mono amp? (AS MKII & Quota MKI)

Participant count
  • Participant list

maltaudio
10+ year member

Hi

Im totally new to car audio

Would just like some advice as to the best wiring setup for my sub. I have a AS12 MKII sub (B² audio - Sweet like Danish) and a Quota MKI mono amp (the older black ones).

Is it best to wire it in series or parallel. In series I think i lose out on the power of the sub since it can handle 600W and I believe the amp generates around 390W @ 4 Ohm and if i were to wire in parallel, the amp would generate too much power for the sub (1000W @ 1 Ohm)

Need some advice.

Thanks!

It honestly sounds like you need to do a lot of reading but I will try and answer as best as possible.

1. As far as wiring the subwoofer to a specific ohm load

We need to know if it is a Dual 4 ohm subwoofer or a Dual 2 Ohm subwoofer, once you know that you can make a decision to wire it in parallel or series to get a desired ohm load which the amp will see nominally. You can wire the subwoofer to whatever ohm load it can be wired to safely, what causes issues is when you wire below the stable load of the amplifier itself, which in your case is 1 ohm. You can wire to 1 ohm safely, but no lower.

2. As far as the 1000w at 1 ohm and the 600w rms subwoofer

Since you seem like you dont have a proper way to set gains or have a good idea of how a subwoofer acts when it is not liking how it is being treated (heat, sound, smell, etc.), I would wire it up (or in series) until you get a more broadened view of what is happening/going on.

3. As far as the gain on the amplifier

I would try and find someone locally with an oscilloscope to set your gain. Essentially the gain needs to match the head units output voltage (signal voltage which is in AC volts) and remain unclipped (which is where the oscilloscope comes in.

It honestly sounds like you need to do a lot of reading but I will try and answer as best as possible.
1. As far as wiring the subwoofer to a specific ohm load

We need to know if it is a Dual 4 ohm subwoofer or a Dual 2 Ohm subwoofer, once you know that you can make a decision to wire it in parallel or series to get a desired ohm load which the amp will see nominally. You can wire the subwoofer to whatever ohm load it can be wired to safely, what causes issues is when you wire below the stable load of the amplifier itself, which in your case is 1 ohm. You can wire to 1 ohm safely, but no lower.

2. As far as the 1000w at 1 ohm and the 600w rms subwoofer

Since you seem like you dont have a proper way to set gains or have a good idea of how a subwoofer acts when it is not liking how it is being treated (heat, sound, smell, etc.), I would wire it up (or in series) until you get a more broadened view of what is happening/going on.

3. As far as the gain on the amplifier

I would try and find someone locally with an oscilloscope to set your gain. Essentially the gain needs to match the head units output voltage (signal voltage which is in AC volts) and remain unclipped (which is where the oscilloscope comes in.
Yes you are correct. Im a total novice, but I have managed to strip my car and wire everything myself so far and am basically in the final stages of the whole setup (Completed: Big 3, upgraded alternator, soundproofed doors and trunk, replaced speakers with component set, replaced headunit, installed amps, built sub box and ran all wiring). Now just needed this last bit of advice so I can finally get it up and running after months of work and dont end up blowing everything!

my sub is a Dual 2 ohm. The link for more info on it is in my original post if you need it

since it is dual 2, wire it in series to 4 ohms since you dont know where to put your gain yet. Once you find that out you can wire it in parallel and run it at 1 ohm and get full power from the amplifier.

series would be positive (red) on one side (coil 1), to negative (black) on the other side (coil 2). Then the remaining positive (red) to the amplifier positive output and the remaining negative (black) to the amplifier negative output.

As far as the gain, again you would need to find someone with an Oscope.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.