What do you think??

Participant count
  • Participant list

jeeper2269
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I currently have a large ported enclosure with a FI “Q” 12 powered by a teramps 3500hd.
I am considering selling the FI and enclosure, in order to free up some cargo space. A fellow Jeep owner has a custom built fiberglass enclosure that goes under the rear cargo mat. Here are the specs:

cutout - 10”
Total volune
Cubic feet is a .96 cu ft
(25.5” x 13” x 5”)
Mounting depth - 5-5.25”

Do any of you know of a 10” sub with a short enough depth that will loud? Or anywhere close to the12”Q I have in the ported enclosure?

18141F75-5B1D-4614-A23B-55350F200A28.png
9009EC84-D285-49F2-9801-D9E64FD1511C.png
646E655C-6BC2-411A-A0DE-1911C4B94AD3.png

You're going from a respectable ported 12 with a lot of power and space to a confined sealed 10 with depth restrictions.
I'd listen to the other guys before you make a decision. Or at least listen to a sealed 10. @Slo_Ride has a point

You're going from a respectable ported 12 with a lot of power and space to a confined sealed 10 with depth restrictions.
I'd listen to the other guys before you make a decision. Or at least listen to a sealed 10. @Slo_Ride has a point

i had the Q in a smaller sealed enclosure years back and was not happy at all. Thanks for the input. Will stick with what I have

Can you add a port to the glass box? You are making a huge downgrade boxwise. You have to choose between space and bass.

i guess I could. I think one of the issues I saw was the mounting depth. I don’t know of any 10” subs with a mounting depth less than 5.5” that would get even in the same ballpark.

i guess I could. I think one of the issues I saw was the mounting depth. I don’t know of any 10” subs with a mounting depth less than 5.5” that would get even in the same ballpark.

A shallow JL or DD would probably be your best choice. I don't see any way that it will be as loud as you want. Have you thought about a smaller enclosure with two nice 8's or four 6-½'s? You could even have a quick disconnect on the box if you ever need the cargo space.

Last edited:
Do you think the mounting hole can be opened to 12.5"? If yes, you can use a 13tw5 by JL Audio. It requires .80 cu. ft. sealed. You will definitely not be disappointed.

for some reason I didn’t see this post earlier. I have never heard a shallow mount very impressive. However, I haven’t heard that many.

I have never heard a shallow mount very impressive.
Neither had I. Saw these on Youtube flexing an F150 quite nicely. Got a pair and it was not a lie. The power is there but not just that; they get pretty low for shallow subs. Went to pickup the airless at a remodel project and left the radio on at low volume. The bass inside the house was as if there was a home theater playing in the middle of the house on blast. Maybe it was just the FS of the empty house, but it left me quite impressed.
On that note, I concur with Bobbytwonames. It will not go as deep or brutal as your current setup, but it is the best replacement if you must keep it compact (IMO).

I currently have a large ported enclosure with a FI “Q” 12 powered by a teramps 3500hd.
I am considering selling the FI and enclosure, in order to free up some cargo space. A fellow Jeep owner has a custom built fiberglass enclosure that goes under the rear cargo mat. Here are the specs:

cutout - 10”
Total volune
Cubic feet is a .96 cu ft
(25.5” x 13” x 5”)
Mounting depth - 5-5.25”

Do any of you know of a 10” sub with a short enough depth that will loud? Or anywhere close to the12”Q I have in the ported enclosure?

For what it's worth, I ran a shallow 10 under the center console of my pickup for about a year. it was a JL in a custom fiber enclosure. pretty spendy. It sounded good, better than stock no doubt, blended with the music, but it didn't make me feel the way bass should. It didn't make me smile. It didn't feed my soul. I finally put a 12 in a ported box on 1500 watts and sacrified a back seat. I told myself i could take it out if i need space. I'm not taking it out. I need it. lol

Everyone is different. And if you're looking to sell that Q let me know. I've always wanted one.
Fi doesn't list them anymore. Does anyone know if they have a comparable replacement?

Edit: from Fi's webiste. $500 though :(
Neo3.5:
Comparable to the older Q series drivers. Great SQ (especially with full cool/IND options. standard 2 spider, but can be made with 3. 1750W. Works in sealed, ported, 4th and 6th order SQ oriented daily applications. 12″, 15″, and 18″ sizes.

Last edited:
A shallow JL or DD would probably be your best choice. I don't see any way that it will be as loud as you want. Have you thought about a smaller enclosure with two nice 8's or four 6-½'s? You could even have a quick disconnect on the box if you ever need the cargo space.

i had thought about that. And/or just having a smaller enclosure built for the FI. The guy that built my last few boxes is Mia. I may look into that further in the spring. One thing I was extremely impressed with last summer was, how loud the FI got with the top off. I did add a cargo rack that goes over the area, which keeps it from getting stolen and looks pretty badass. Also adds overland storage. Thanks for helping

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

jeeper2269

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
jeeper2269
Somewhere, OR
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies