What could make a speaker sound blown?

Participant count
  • Participant list

GreenLantern747
10+ year member

ok, i know the title sounds stupid, but i haven't found an idea about what could be causeing this. i've got an alpine 9833, and my passenger front speaker sounds like its blown. now i tried to swap out the speakers, but with the new one it sounded the same. I'm not sure if its all the time, because i've only really noticed it when it happends. sounds like the tweeters blown, but two good speakers sound the same. checked the wires on the HU, and everything seems to be connected right, so i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what else i could check... thanks for any help...

Sean

ok, i know the title sounds stupid, but i haven't found an idea about what could be causeing this. i've got an alpine 9833, and my passenger front speaker sounds like its blown. now i tried to swap out the speakers, but with the new one it sounded the same. I'm not sure if its all the time, because i've only really noticed it when it happends. sounds like the tweeters blown, but two good speakers sound the same. checked the wires on the HU, and everything seems to be connected right, so i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what else i could check... thanks for any help...
Sean
make sure your +/-'s are wired properly from speakers to the amp

Prolly cuz you are turning it up way too much and getting hella distortion. What kind of speakers you running?

How are they set up?

HU power is not very good for powering speakers, period. amplify them and see a world of difference.
with a decent install //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

i'm doubting that the speakers are actually blown, first set was a nice set of jbl, the ones that i tried to replace with were cheaper optimus 3 ways, that a friend had laying around. both just sound like a tweeters blown, but both are obviously not (swapped passengers and drivers get the same result). just curious why that one speaker would sound that way, but not the others...

does it sound blown only when you turn it up loud? or all the time? or on tracks with a lot of bass? could be a lot of things. but yeah if it's just distortion, amps give a better sound than just the HU. 40 watts amplified is better than 40 watts on the HU.

ok, so all week i've been trying to figure this one out... the speaker is randomly doing this, when i turn it up where i consider it loud its there, but at normal volumes, sometimes it does it others it doesn't. I'm starting to wonder if maybe the speaker wires rubbing something metal or something, though i don't know if that would cause the sounds its making. hmmm.... oh well another saturday in the garage. ..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.