What can you tell me about wire size

Participant count
  • Participant list

xromarx

Guys, I have a dilemma here. So I bought a cheap 6 gauge scosche wiring kit from walmart and ran it to my Kenwood x801-5 amplifier. Now I dont know if this amp, being a class D amp, normally just runs hot or it’s caused by the wiring kit. I’m asking because I’ve checked the wire when the amp is super hot and the wire is cool. Im under the impression that if the wire gauge isnt thick enough that the wire would get hot...well this isn’t the case for mine. The amp gets hot but wire stays cool so im assuming the wire is good enough for the amp. but why is my amp getting ridiculously hot? it hasn’t shut off yet but im not waiting for that to happen.

Also, only the surface of the amp gets hot, the heatsink part doesn’t really get hot. just warm, depending on the time of day.

Guys, I have a dilemma here. So I bought a cheap 6 gauge scosche wiring kit from walmart and ran it to my Kenwood x801-5 amplifier. Now I dont know if this amp, being a class D amp, normally just runs hot or it’s caused by the wiring kit. I’m asking because I’ve checked the wire when the amp is super hot and the wire is cool. Im under the impression that if the wire gauge isnt thick enough that the wire would get hot...well this isn’t the case for mine. The amp gets hot but wire stays cool so im assuming the wire is good enough for the amp. but why is my amp getting ridiculously hot? it hasn’t shut off yet but im not waiting for that to happen.
Also, only the surface of the amp gets hot, the heatsink part doesn’t really get hot. just warm, depending on the time of day.
did u sand the ground spot well, sometimes better ground keeps amp cooler.. what are u running with the amp? are u running a d2 or d4 sub or whatever?

did u sand the ground spot well, sometimes better ground keeps amp cooler.. what are u running with the amp? are u running a d2 or d4 sub or whatever?
Hey I noticed you run a Kenwood as well. does yours run cool? okay so I would hope my ground is good. I bought sandpaper and sanded it down pretty well. I’m running 4 Jbl gx602 2.3ohm speakers and two 2ohm mtx terminator subs. Each speaker is 60watt rms and subs are 200watts rms each totaling 400 watts. The kenwood x801 subs are 75watts x 4 @ 2ohms, 500watts rms x1 @ 2ohms.

My headunit is a pioneer AVH-1330NEX 4v preamp output so I dont turn my gain past half way.

Hey I noticed you run a Kenwood as well. does yours run cool? okay so I would hope my ground is good. I bought sandpaper and sanded it down pretty well. I’m running 4 Jbl gx602 2.3ohm speakers and two 2ohm mtx terminator subs. Each speaker is 60watt rms and subs are 200watts rms each totaling 400 watts. The kenwood x801 subs are 75watts x 4 @ 2ohms, 500watts rms x1 @ 2ohms.
My headunit is a pioneer AVH-1330NEX 4v preamp output so I dont turn my gain past half way.
my kenwood is just the hu i have ppi amp.. are u sure do u mean both subs are wired to 2ohm total? if your hu is 4v past 1/2 way maybe to high for gain try dropping sub gain down just below 1/2., also i only turn my hu to 28 out of 35 only go up to 30 on some rock songs.. i'm at 2 ohm too my gain is about 40%.. there is a method of setting gain with a volt meter and a 50hz tone.. do u have bass boost/loudness on hu or amp?, we normally suggest not using those.. if hu has sub volume on it do u have it 0 (i keep mine at +1)

my kenwood is just the hu i have ppi amp.. are u sure do u mean both subs are wired to 2ohm total? if your hu is 4v past 1/2 way maybe to high for gain try dropping sub gain down just below 1/2., also i only turn my hu to 28 out of 35 only go up to 30 on some rock songs.. i'm at 2 ohm too my gain is about 40%.. there is a method of setting gain with a volt meter and a 50hz tone.. do u have bass boost/loudness on hu or amp?, we normally suggest not using those.. if hu has sub volume on it do u have it 0 (i keep mine at +1)
Yes both subs are wired at 2ohms. atleast that’s how it came with. i have the mtx terminator dual subs if you want to look more into it. As for the gains, I did use a volt meter to set it. so it should be where it’s at.

Yes both subs are wired at 2ohms. atleast that’s how it came with. i have the mtx terminator dual subs if you want to look more into it. As for the gains, I did use a volt meter to set it. so it should be where it’s at.
well if it's not an ground, ohm load or gain set to high problem could just be amp is being pushed hard.. u say it runs hot how long does it take to get hot 5mins or 30mins? if 5 mins i'd set gain lower, when u set the voltage assuming u set it hat 500rms did u set it around 31v?, that would be 500 @2ohm.. also that only works as long as amp actually does 500 if it only does 450 then it's still being clipped where u set it at, try turn gain down a tad see if that help any..

Two 2 ohm subs???This will be the same as wiring two SVC 2 ohm subs.You may be in a one ohm load.That amp is not 1 ohm stable for sub duty by specs I looked up and neither the two Ch, for your front stage.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_108647_Kenwood-eXcelon-X801-5.html

he got mtx dual box factory wired at 2 ohm
He did not mention that as far as I read. If so, He is fine on sub duty at 2 ohm stable,I wouldnt put the gain past 1 o'clock position max. on sub duty.(4- 2.3 ohm speakers on two ch. is very close to 1 ohm load and pushing it on that amp. Prob getting hot due to driving those alone at a undesirable ohm load/not an actual 2ohm load by specs.Amps being driven pretty hard to take care of a complete system and itll run pretty warm to hot until it reaches its limitations. Wouldnt hurt to get some room underneath it to get some air underneath may help or an external fan as well.And set gains properly.Id look into an amplifier to take care of the subs and use this 5 ch on the mids and highs so everything runs cooler and not working so hard

no i think it's 2 4 ohm svc wired at 2 ohm final load., that was 1st thing i asked
LOL..well we still dont know for sure.. Seems he doesnt know for sure by reading this.I say pull a sub and get brand and model # to know for sure, and Ill need check the ohm load on the speakers on Google

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.