What can we do?

i need to be able to say ninja without gettin bant //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
That wouldnt be an issue if you and a few others didnt push the N word issue so much and use it as a substitution. Now we have to assume youre being racist.

but all the music i listen to isnt racist //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

you're* (btw //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif)

I don't think posts in the Dome should add to your cumulative post count. My reasoning is simple. Higher post counts bring status, whether you like it or not. The whole idea of this forum is respectful, helpful information and discussion of car audio. When a new member joins, he/she won't just believe everything everyone says, and for good reason - many people just don't know what they're talking about. Now, if a member with 20k+ posts chimes in, the new member will be more likely to listen, and possibly change his/her opinions to that of the person with the most posts. That's not necessarily because they're the only ones correct, or even because their posts were filled with the most information(although this also plays a large role). It's because the new member thinks the veteran knows more. After all, this forum is supposed to be about helping those in need of help and discussing different aspects of car audio.

On the other hand, if a new member creates a topic asking for suggestions on their system(which is inevitably going to be an awful system), and the veteran member he/she is looking up to chimes in with, "You should buy a 1,000,000,000,000 farad capacitor loooloolloolololololololololool!" the new member will be discouraged, and either not come back, or will think that the forum is operated under the assumption that immaturity is cool and will start to troll similarly.

Now, let's go for a third scenario. The second one doesn't really happen much, and when it does, I'm sure responsible members report the post. In this scenario however, it's not possible to report a post, and one can't exactly report a member(just because the moderators and administrator believe in having more traffic). A new member posts, asking for opinions on buying a new amplifier. A few members post with different suggestions, because they're car audio enthusiasts and they care about what they're talking about. However, another member(with several more thousand posts than the others, most of which come from the Dome because the member is here for the community) posts something undoubtedly sarcastic, and equally ambiguous. The new member doesn't see the sarcasm, and takes the post seriously.

There are many other scenarios, in which other people see the sarcasm and decide to steer away from the site because of the unprofessional stance the moderators seem to take about the mass distribution of fallacious information. Whether you like it or not, the site is a business. Businesses should be professional, and for the life of the business, you have to rid yourself of whoever isn't holding their weight, per se. You don't honestly believe that owners of businesses have left because of the rules you've recently implemented, do you? With some common sense, you can see that these businessmen left because of the lack of professionalism. They left because the floodgates holding all of the trolls in the Thunderdome broke. Your response was a good first step, but putting a band-aid on a broken arm isn't going to help anything.

The real problem of the forum is the immaturity. Deleting posts and adding a couple of rules isn't much more than the band-aid you've already exhausted. You need to completely change the rules. Change your stance on and opinions of the goings on of the forum. Take actual action against the cancer on the site. Clean the Thunderdome. Do something.

If you really want active members, make them WANT to be here. By here, I don't mean the Thunderdome, or the classifieds. They need to want to be here for car audio. Maybe then you'll have more company owners coming to help out and give information. Maybe they'll be willing to contribute financially.

The other ideas like giveaways, vendor forums, etc., are all great as well. The forum needs to have something going for it other than the funny factor of the Dome. Defending the Dome for the sake of keeping members is illogical. There's no happy medium for having trolls or intellectuals. That's why people leave. That's why the site is failing. You can't blame the moderators for not enforcing the rules, and you can't blame the members for not having good enough ideas.

I don't think posts in the Dome should add to your cumulative post count. My reasoning is simple. Higher post counts bring status, whether you like it or not. The whole idea of this forum is respectful, helpful information and discussion of car audio. When a new member joins, he/she won't just believe everything everyone says, and for good reason - many people just don't know what they're talking about. Now, if a member with 20k+ posts chimes in, the new member will be more likely to listen, and possibly change his/her opinions to that of the person with the most posts. That's not necessarily because they're the only ones correct, or even because their posts were filled with the most information(although this also plays a large role). It's because the new member thinks the veteran knows more. After all, this forum is supposed to be about helping those in need of help and discussing different aspects of car audio.
On the other hand, if a new member creates a topic asking for suggestions on their system(which is inevitably going to be an awful system), and the veteran member he/she is looking up to chimes in with, "You should buy a 1,000,000,000,000 farad capacitor loooloolloolololololololololool!" the new member will be discouraged, and either not come back, or will think that the forum is operated under the assumption that immaturity is cool and will start to troll similarly.

Now, let's go for a third scenario. The second one doesn't really happen much, and when it does, I'm sure responsible members report the post. In this scenario however, it's not possible to report a post, and one can't exactly report a member(just because the moderators and administrator believe in having more traffic). A new member posts, asking for opinions on buying a new amplifier. A few members post with different suggestions, because they're car audio enthusiasts and they care about what they're talking about. However, another member(with several more thousand posts than the others, most of which come from the Dome because the member is here for the community) posts something undoubtedly sarcastic, and equally ambiguous. The new member doesn't see the sarcasm, and takes the post seriously.

There are many other scenarios, in which other people see the sarcasm and decide to steer away from the site because of the unprofessional stance the moderators seem to take about the mass distribution of fallacious information. Whether you like it or not, the site is a business. Businesses should be professional, and for the life of the business, you have to rid yourself of whoever isn't holding their weight, per se. You don't honestly believe that owners of businesses have left because of the rules you've recently implemented, do you? With some common sense, you can see that these businessmen left because of the lack of professionalism. They left because the floodgates holding all of the trolls in the Thunderdome broke. Your response was a good first step, but putting a band-aid on a broken arm isn't going to help anything.
All 3 of these scenarios are easily fixable right now. Simply report the post. Trolling in the tech sections isnt allowed and will result in a post deletion, warnings, and vacations depending on the severity of the post.

The real problem of the forum is the immaturity. Deleting posts and adding a couple of rules isn't much more than the band-aid you've already exhausted. You need to completely change the rules. Change your stance on and opinions of the goings on of the forum. Take actual action against the cancer on the site. Clean the Thunderdome. Do something.
The ThunderDome is a rules free zone. Its there for the trolls. It wont get cleaned up thats just the way it is. Hence the reason its a members only zone. The only two rules we maintain there is the racial slurs and the nudity. All else goes unless of course someone lays down some physical threats and then we will look into it on a case by case basis.

If you really want active members, make them WANT to be here. By here, I don't mean the Thunderdome, or the classifieds. They need to want to be here for car audio. Maybe then you'll have more company owners coming to help out and give information. Maybe they'll be willing to contribute financially.
The other ideas like giveaways, vendor forums, etc., are all great as well. The forum needs to have something going for it other than the funny factor of the Dome. Defending the Dome for the sake of keeping members is illogical. There's no happy medium for having trolls or intellectuals. That's why people leave. That's why the site is failing. You can't blame the moderators for not enforcing the rules, and you can't blame the members for not having good enough ideas.
Goob is getting ready to role out vendor sections and vendor advertising as well as changing the advertising rules. There have already been a great number of vendors interested in joining in on this campaign and a few who have already paid for their advertising. They are being brought in slowly but surely.

Goob is getting ready to role out vendor sections and vendor advertising as well as changing the advertising rules. There have already been a great number of vendors interested in joining in on this campaign and a few who have already paid for their advertising. They are being brought in slowly but surely.
that is awesome. im glad a few companies are going to be coming back! any info on what companies are signed up already by chance?

As far as the trolling issue, i think if we(we being all the regular car audio enthusiasts) take a stance that trolling wont be tolerated anymore outside the dome and really start to crack down with punishments that were talked about above things will get better.. I understand the members have to do our part by reporting the posts to help you guys see whats going on. I see the moderators side now and that you cant go through every single post looking for people being stupid ..thats unrealistic so the members need to do our part to help you guys on that. hopefully we can make this place a great place to post and interact with people who share our love for car audio again.

hopefully those vendors will do giveaways and nice things like that.. who knows maybe some of the old regulars will even come back if things change for the good and we can limit the trolling to only the t-dome.. also by old regulars i dont mean the old mods with power trips or anybody that will cause problems again..im referring to people who are knowledgeable and very helpful cause it honestly seemed like there was a lot more before.

also i'd like to apologize for my thread yesterday and the things I said..a lot of it got taken out of context and then escalated to an arguement and hopefully I explained my feelings a little better above and what i was actually trying to say. thats all just wanted to apologize for my part in all that. just want to see this place be a nice place to visit and get helpful info again.

I know a few vendors that don't frequent here, not because of the immaturity level, but because of the constant " Give me, give me, give me" that goes on. Tough times to own a business, and constantly giving deep discounts just isn't as easy as it used to be. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

all is well just a matter of time...

as long as ANT continues his monopoly scheme of buying all forums he can, soon they will all be driven into the ground and the last one standing will be ca.com.

caco is officially falling.

whats the deal with that? i wonder what his thoughts are for buying all of them i dont get it...
Who knows but I'm glad he did. It's helping my little forum out. People just want to exchange good info and shoot the shiite. All of these "larger" forums care about their google ads etc. I don't give a crap about that. i just want members lol. It's really helping people like me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

whitedragon551

5,000+ posts
whitedragon551
IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from