What can go wrong with an amp that would cause it to draw too much current?

grampi
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Cheyenne
I took my car into the repair shop I use to have them check out the electrical system. My HU was shutting down on it's own, and the headlights were dimming to the point of looking like they would go almost completely off when the bass would hit, even at very moderate volume levels. I figured there was either something wrong with my alternator, my battery, or the battery/alternator wiring, but the mechanic said my amp is drawing too much current. Is there something that can go wrong with an amp that would cause it to do this?

Maybe he means drawing too much current in relation to the amount of current your electrical system can provide. What kind of car ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Maybe he means drawing too much current in relation to the amount of current your electrical system can provide. What kind of car ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
'99 Corolla. It has the stock alternator rated for 80 amps. The amp is an Alpine FVR-545. I don't think that's what he meant. I believe he meant the amp is drawing more current than it should be for a given volume level. Could the amp's power supply be going and causing it to draw way more current than it normally would?

sigh...i seriously would consider learning a bit more about electrical yourself and actually do some of the work yourself and learn to diagnose smaller issues like this by yourself. We're always here to help...but we cant help when you say "Well, i think my mechanic checked that"

'99 Corolla. It has the stock alternator rated for 80 amps. The amp is an Alpine FVR-545. I don't think that's what he meant. I believe he meant the amp is drawing more current than it should be for a given volume level. Could the amp's power supply be going and causing it to draw way more current than it normally would?
There is a tiny possiblity it could. You must have the king kong big kahuna mechanic though. To be able to diagnose that. I will tell you with most mechanics, anything aftermarket is always the problem. A few seconds with a dmm would answer a lot of questions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

sigh...i seriously would consider learning a bit more about electrical yourself and actually do some of the work yourself and learn to diagnose smaller issues like this by yourself. We're always here to help...but we cant help when you say "Well, i think my mechanic checked that"
^^so true, OP you should look into your setup and learn everything about it. That way, in the future when something else happens, you'll know what's wrong and can fix it yourself in most cases and will also save some cash from going to a shop and spending a lot of money.

I paid the guy to diagnose my problem. I'm assuming he checked the battery, alternator, and associated wiring. If he didn't do this, then how does he know the problem is being caused by the amp and not something on the car? I shouldn't have to go behind the guy and recheck everything he was supposed to check, otherwise, why did I pay the guy?

There is a tiny possiblity it could. You must have the king kong big kahuna mechanic though. To be able to diagnose that. I will tell you with most mechanics, anything aftermarket is always the problem. A few seconds with a dmm would answer a lot of questions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I have a dmm. What do I need to check and what should I be looking for?

I paid the guy to diagnose my problem. I'm assuming he checked the battery, alternator, and associated wiring. If he didn't do this, then how does he know the problem is being caused by the amp and not something on the car? I shouldn't have to go behind the guy and recheck everything he was supposed to check, otherwise, why did I pay the guy?
lol...im not going to argue. Theres not many people i trust in life...and just because you payed someone doesnt make what he says right.

First things first. Check your battery voltage at rest and while running. Should be slightly above 12v at rest, and should be over 13.8v with the alt charging. Turn the amp on and do the same test. A clamp meter would be needed to test the current draw, but seeing what is happening with the battery voltage with and without the amp on should be a good clue to the source of the problem. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.