What are these wires I'm looking at in my door?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I’ll be installing component speakers in my Honda Pilot. The Pilot originally had component speakers but those were replaced with coaxial speakers. I believe the wiring was changed when the speakers were changed and I’m trying to figure out what I’m looking at.

So far I’ve only been looking at the front passenger side components. The 2 speaker wires from the HU (brown black, red green) go to line-out converter. That converter has RCAs to the amp. The speaker out from the amp has some heavy opaque speaker wires that go under the carpet never to be seen again.

The tweeter location is in the dash. There is no tweeter there right now but I’ve tested the plug and it has power. The two wires there seem to be the same factory brown black and red green ones that came out of the head unit.

The woofer in the door is where it gets confusing. There are 3 pairs of wires behind the woofer. There are aftermarket red and black ones which are connected to the woofer. They come into the door in a white after market sleeve. In that same sleeve there is an aftermarket green and white wire. Those are connected to the third set of wires which come out of a factory sleeve. Those wires are the same factory brown black and red green wires which run to the tweeter.

My assumption is that the green and white wires are supplying power to the tweeter. The red and black are obviously powering the woofer. I’m a confused as to why the woofer and tweeter would have separate power wires. I’m also confused as to how I will install a cross-over. My understanding is that a single pair goes into the cross-over and then two pair comes out. One pair to the tweeter and one pair to the woofer.

So what are your thoughts? Is this completely normal? Do I need to dig deeper? Can I use just one set of those power wires for my crossover or should I use both?

Thanks for the time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.