What are these connectors called?

PatTraynor

CarAudio.com Newbie
Several months ago, I had a local shop replace the stock radio in my '05 Toyota Sienna with a double din stereo with modern conveniences (most importantly, android auto). Their suggestion was the Sony XAV-AX3200. $400 for the stereo plus $450 for installation (including back-up camera). For $850, I have to admit that I was a bit underwhelmed by this radio. I don't want to go into the reasons, but I was thinking I might replace it once I knew a little more about what was available.

I'm a member of Amazon Vine, so I occasionally get stuff to review for very cheap. There have been several Chinese double din stereos that I've been installing in my other car ('09 Rav4), and one of them I rather like. I like it enough that I'm thinking of buying another one at full price ($99 - gasp!) and replacing the Sony in the Sienna.

All of these Chinese double din stereo units have the same hookup. There are two side-by-side 8-pin plugs. But looking through various audio authorities online, I haven't been able to see one to determine what it's called.

The best solution would be if I could get a ready-made adapter to go from the plug currently in use by the Sony and convert it into these double 8-pin plugs. I have my doubts that this exists, but since I don't know what these are called, I can't search. So I was hoping that someone here knows and can tell me.

Thanks for any help.

20230609_155532.jpg

20230607_162147.jpg

Do I have this right,
You have your factory harness,
Plugged into your factory harness is your adapter harness to fit the sony harness.
What you want is to then have a second adapter harness to go from your sony harness to one of these?

Do I have this right, [ ... ]

To be honest, I don't know what's in there. I had pros do the work and I don't know what they did. So I don't know if they left the old plug in place and added some sort of adapter, or if they cut it off and soldered all of the Toyota wires to the new harness. I'm planning on opening it up today and taking a look.

oookkkkkaaayyy, it's your thread, you should know why you made it.

Don't expect that any shop soldered that. It's not required for it to work, it takes more time, and soldering just doesn't work well for 8awg and larger, or 16awg and smaller. Crimping properly with a crimper tool always works well too.

What they most likely did, and what you would want to do, is just buy the adapter harness with the connector that plugs into your OEM harness, and then you crimp new pins on or depin how it comes and move em around. The adapter harness is $5-$10, and if you are getting a bunch of these to test, then go buy a couple (to have at least one extra on hand for a few bucks), a pick set, and a crimper kit. About $50 for that list, and you can crimp any pins on for any new head units, and you can depin and move around anything you need to. I wouldn't bother with soldering for that, especially if you don't have solder stuff yet.

oookkkkkaaayyy, it's your thread, you should know why you made it.

Don't expect that any shop soldered that. It's not required for it to work, it takes more time, and soldering just doesn't work well for 8awg and larger, or 16awg and smaller. Crimping properly with a crimper tool always works well too.

What they most likely did, and what you would want to do, is just buy the adapter harness with the connector that plugs into your OEM harness, and then you crimp new pins on or depin how it comes and move em around. The adapter harness is $5-$10, and if you are getting a bunch of these to test, then go buy a couple (to have at least one extra on hand for a few bucks), a pick set, and a crimper kit. About $50 for that list, and you can crimp any pins on for any new head units, and you can depin and move around anything you need to. I wouldn't bother with soldering for that, especially if you don't have solder stuff yet.
Thanks for all the info. I do have all the soldering gear. Many years ago, I used to be an electronics technician and worked with a soldering iron all day. Haven't done it for decades, tho... I've found the color codings for the Toyota wires and I also know what the codings are for the harness included with the radios. I just assumed that I could solder the Toyota "right speaker" wire to the radio harness "right speaker" wire and it should work, no?

Yikes - those prices are a little staggering. Some cost more than my new radio. For that money, I'd probably just pull out my wire strippers and do it myself.
Huh? ~$30 for a dash kit, which isn't optional. You'd rather cut and strip up the OEM wiring than spend ~$10-15 for a connector. 😳

Post a link to the specific item you're talking about. You posted a link to long list of stuff. I have no idea what you're referring to.
Go thru the list and find the appropriate connector. It's probably this one, but they have descriptions attached so you can get the right part depending on if you have a JBL or Mark Levison system, if you need to bypass the OEM amp, etc. Of course I'd pop the radio out and check which connector is in there.

Pull the HU out to see whats going on. Guessing is a waste of time. Prob take an hour tops with little to no experience and taking a smoke and beer break :poop: 😩

Last edited:
You can't assume on color codings. Depends on who it is, red could be 12v or acc. Yellow could be power or acc. Orange could be power, acc, illumination, or nav. Purple could be speaker wire, or nav. ETC.... The only one you can safely assume is, black is ground.

If you cut and solder, you're going to cut and solder every time. If you add new connectors and pins, you can just depin if it the connector matches up, and swap back and forth without doing any real work. If you solder all of it, put it in, and it's junk or want to go back, then you take it out, cut and resolder everything you just did. If you added pins, you can have it all ready before you start taking anything out, and you can put it all back to any previous one in a minute or two compared to soldering it all.

Is your time to solder everything more valuable then $5 for a new connector, (and all that extra time where you do the same one twice would have been free with a new connector). Sure you can solder, but I would personally just rather have a few connector harnesses laying around. Especially if they are the same manufacturer/ chinese design, they should plug right up. Then you're going to be soldering every time vs already having it done.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

PatTraynor

CarAudio.com Newbie
PatTraynor
Marshfield, MA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views