GP Audio Called Me on The Box6

Participant count
  • Participant list

Grimmjoww

CarAudio.com Veteran
Let me start off by saying this dude Tyler was very thorough. He was super nice and open to any questions or ideas I had for the box. I went with the Elite High Output XL enclosure with them, double baffles, extra bracing, all the bells and whistles. Tyler told me everything he had designed for the enclosure, he was very familiar with SSA's subs and was excited to build a custom box for a Zcon 15. He spent several hours in design on it he said, he said he had a sweet double baffle layout done and exact specs I gathered from SSA themselves and others who were mentioned to me on the board here. This thing should absolutely pound but stay accurate as hell as we went with 15.25" of port area per square foot instead of 16". He said it was going to sound and look awesome. I went with some custom etched designs that were part of the deal and he had no problem adding anything included. Really good experience so far, thanks to Audiobahn for the shout out. Edit: Awe crap just noticed I biffed the title with a typo LOL!

Last edited:
Maybe it’s just the elite or custom but I was looking at this basic one

I can add a 2” one in the port corner and just modify the inner port wall to keep the port width the same or just not worry about it

Maybe it’s just the elite or custom but I was looking at this basic one

I can add a 2” one in the port corner and just modify the inner port wall to keep the port width the same or just not worry about it
In the notes at checkout just tell them you want interior corners in the box, or just call them, they are super cool with the glue it and screw it boxes.

Here is a sneak peak of the top Baffle

Attachments

• 20230421_154955.jpg
    20230421_154955.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 27
So far I'm really happy, I did spend a little money on this but it's birch. The big thing is he design's the box, he doesn't just cut up some wood. They look at your speaker parameters and make sure everything is copasetic. Just to buy an authentic piece of 4x8 .75" Birch around here is $180 so I do not feel that bad honestly. And plus I could never achieve these cuts or design with the tools I own. I would have to go buy $400 in tools, and I'm not going to build a ton of boxes, just don't have the time with my work schedule. It was worth it to me.

Doesn’t look like they do 45s in the corners
To be completely honest I hate doing 45s for the corners. I don't think you gain that much strength and they are a royal pain to cut with a circular saw.

Table saw isn't bad but I hate doing it with a straight edge and a circular saw. I just did a 2 skar vxf 15 box with them and I hate attaching them

Attachments

• PXL_20230421_193115132.jpg
    PXL_20230421_193115132.jpg
    851.2 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20230421_230222772.jpg
    PXL_20230421_230222772.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
To be completely honest I hate doing 45s for the corners. I don't think you gain that much strength and they are a royal pain to cut with a circular saw.

Table saw isn't bad but I hate doing it with a straight edge and a circular saw. I just did a 2 skar vxf 15 box with them and I hate attaching them
Box looks good. And I could be wrong but I thought the 45's were for smoothing out sound waves than strength.

It says for a 2.0 ft.³ it’s 30 inches of port. Is that good for most 12s? Currently a sundown SA 12 classic but I intend on replacing it with something else. Probably just go with the basic one double baffled mdf 35hz since I’m mainly a metalhead

Last edited:
Box looks good. And I could be wrong but I thought the 45's were for smoothing out sound waves than strength.

45s in the port are for airflow, 45s in the corner at for strength.

@2RZ-FE 15in^2 of Port per cube is about average for most subs. sub size doesn't matter its the relationship of the air velocity in the port VS the air displacement of the sub.

its not uncommon to be able to use 12in^2 percube on low excursion subs like the jl w3 but take a sub with more xmax like the sundown sa and you will want more port area, jump to extreme excursion subs like the sundown z series and you need even more port area.

as you increase air displacement through Xmax or cone area you need more port. cone area is pretty linear, Xmas you have to calculate port velocity an keep it under 40m/s ideally 30m/s

Let me start off by saying this dude Tyler was very thorough. He was super nice and open to any questions or ideas I had for the box. I went with the Elite High Output XL enclosure with them, double baffles, extra bracing, all the bells and whistles. Tyler told me everything he had designed for the enclosure, he was very familiar with SSA's subs and was excited to build a custom box for a Zcon 15. He spent several hours in design on it he said, he said he had a sweet double baffle layout done and exact specs I gathered from SSA themselves and others who were mentioned to me on the board here. This thing should absolutely pound but stay accurate as hell as we went with 15.25" of port area per square foot instead of 16". He said it was going to sound and look awesome. I went with some custom etched designs that were part of the deal and he had no problem adding anything included. Really good experience so far, thanks to Audiobahn for the shout out. Edit: Awe crap just noticed I biffed the title with a typo LOL!
I have had nothing but great experiences from them. Every enclosure Ive gotten from them and for a few others have been well made and easy enough to put together and have all lasted and serve justice man. I really think you will be happy with your enclosure.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...