What are the disadvantages of having subwoofers in a back seat?

joshme17
10+ year member

Oklahoma
What are the disadvantages of having subwoofers in a back seat and what are the advantages?

I just got 2 new 15" kickers in a sealed box. But when I got home, they didn't fit in my trunk. I was thinking maybe I could just stick them in the back seat (where they are now but not hooked up).

Would there be any problems with doing this? Will they sound bad? Would there be any danger of 150lbs of kickers smashing me in the back of the head (In the case of a wreck) if I didn't secure them somehow?

Would I be better off just trading them for 12s that would fit in the trunk?

Thanks

What are the disadvantages of having subwoofers in a back seat and what are the advantages?
I just got 2 new 15" kickers in a sealed box. But when I got home, they didn't fit in my trunk. I was thinking maybe I could just stick them in the back seat (where they are now but not hooked up).

Would there be any problems with doing this? Will they sound bad? Would there be any danger of 150lbs of kickers smashing me in the back of the head (In the case of a wreck) if I didn't secure them somehow?

Would I be better off just trading them for 12s that would fit in the trunk?

Thanks
Other than losing the backseat this would be my major concern. In a serious accident or roll they could do some serious damage.

I doubt anyone would be laughing once they heard them. Haha.

Since they would be right behind the front seats would they cause the seats to shake and vibrate more than if they were in the trunk?

Besides the obvious of danger in an accident there isnt really really a disadvantage to it, I have a 99 2.5rs which has a tiny trunk and wanted a 18" so I had a 7.5 cube box built to sit where the rear seat bottom would have been, granted I did build a plate to bolt it to so in case of an accident it didn't kill me. You should be fine just secure it so you it doesnt kill you if you get in a head on.

well besides the fact you don't have 150lb kickers cause they don't make any...

I will tell you a story.. I have a 2001 nissan altima with 13.xx cubes of total trunk space.. well and dandy.. but the opening allows for a 4-5 cube box only.. I fit an 18" btl in there with a 7-8cube box.. I will let you figure out how..

Well my bad...haha. I'm obviously very new to car audio. This is my first aftermarket system and I haven't even installed it yet....it felt that heavy when I spent 20 minutes trying to cram it in my trunk.

Well my bad...haha. I'm obviously very new to car audio. This is my first aftermarket system and I haven't even installed it yet....it felt that heavy when I spent 20 minutes trying to cram it in my trunk.
I made that mistake with my first custom box...I made the measurements out to be to big to fit through the trunk opening and it barely fit through the backseats....had to use my feet to push the box through the opening in the back seats....

I doubt anyone would be laughing once they heard them. Haha.
Since they would be right behind the front seats would they cause the seats to shake and vibrate more than if they were in the trunk?
The biggest disadvantage is the loss of db'zzz. If max SPL is what your trying to get out of your equipment then get that sub in the trunk or keep it in the back and wall it off ;-) Perfect example I used the same exact gear I used to register a 150+ (legal n TL) and tried to fit it into a volvo's trunk. It didn't fit and was the day before a comp. so I put it in the back seat and barely hit a 144 and that was after I put my huge external port into the trunk, at first I had the port basically pointed at the sensor and registered UNDER a 143.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...