What are some SPl tricks or tips you have learned?

You should try sub up or forward and port to the passenger side. Might be surprised at the outcome.
Doing that eliminates trunk gain, and in SUV's eliminates cabin gain. In all my experiments in trunks, facing rear with sub AND port will net up to 5db versus front or up firing, depending on the car. Front or up firing is a little cleaner and more even sounding, but not as loud or punchy in my experience.

[quote name='r0llinlacs']Doing that eliminates trunk gain, and in SUV's eliminates cabin gain. In all my experiments in trunks, facing rear with sub AND port will net up to 5db versus front or up firing, depending on the car. Front or up firing is a little cleaner and more even sounding, but not as loud or punchy in my experience.[/QUOTE]

Trunks with subs forward and port to drivers side is pretty dam loud ..as good or better than subs and port back ..thats how.my new box wil be setup @dbeez ;just did a box for 2 12" zv3.s on a saz4500 pretty nasty

Doing that eliminates trunk gain, and in SUV's eliminates cabin gain. In all my experiments in trunks, facing rear with sub AND port will net up to 5db versus front or up firing, depending on the car. Front or up firing is a little cleaner and more even sounding, but not as loud or punchy in my experience.
ok i will disagree with the 5 db gain and the cleaner sounding that is a peronal prefrence type of thing what one person finds soothing another will hate so thats your opinion. subs forward and port side have yielded great results when done right box specs tuining and whatnot but test test test and you will find what is best in your application as every vehicle is different even when they are the same car sometimes the results will vary.

What all have you actually tested to give you this number? Most trunks that I (and many others) have built to get loud did not fire back at all.

Also, to suggest anything would give someone a 5db increase is....well...just not accurate.

I had an 87 cadillac that sounded horrid with front firing subs. Ported or sealed, it didn't matter. Rear firing did net me 5 more db. But it's different in every car. My car now only benefits 1-2db from rear firing.

If they are sounding "terrible", that has more to do with enclosure design and various settings then anything. Most of the time it is not as simple as just moving the enclosure around because it does load differently.

I had an 87 cadillac that sounded horrid with front firing subs. Ported or sealed, it didn't matter. Rear firing did net me 5 more db. But it's different in every car. My car now only benefits 1-2db from rear firing.
Ur talking subs and port forward and yes i agree sound bad unless u seal off from cabin...were talkin port firing off drivers quarter panel

I will be sure to tell all the loud guys at finals that they're doing it wrong...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.