What amp for my needs?

93civEJ1
10+ year member

IL
I have 2 8" 4ohm speakers that I am about to hook up. They are both rated for 300watt RMS each, with a max of 600. I am guessing the best deal would be to hook them up to each other for a 2 ohm load and run a mono amp? Is that what you guys would do? If that is the case can you suggest an amp that would power these two speakers that is not expensive. This is a low budget build.

Also, when I have two speakers ran to a mono amp, when you go to set the gains with a DMM, would you set the gain to see 600 watts at the DMM (300 for each sub)...or would you set the gain just until you see 300 watts? Sorry, I am still learning.

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

I also found this amp that has decent reviews....is not expensive, and seems to meet my needs for a 2 ohm load? suggestions??

FLI Audio FL1200M-F2 1200W Max Monoblock Power Amplifier

Also, when I have two speakers ran to a mono amp, when you go to set the gains with a DMM, would you set the gain to see 600 watts at the DMM (300 for each sub)...or would you set the gain just until you see 300 watts? Sorry, I am still learning.
Pretty sure there is a "Sticky" for setting the gains using a DMM, but you aren't going to read Watts: you're looking for Volts.

To get a basic idea what voltage you should set the gains to, you can multiply the RMS power of your amplifier's output by the final impedance of the speaker(s), then find the square root of that number. (If you're using an amplifier that has an RMS output greater than your speaker(s) can handle then use the RMS rating of the speaker to determine what voltage to set your amp to.)

audiopipe apsm-1300 will do around 700 at 2 ohm for $108. I have one if you have any questions, best bang for the buck, and then you have a little headroom if you want to add another sub

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Blah blah blah, bu bu blah
Woah back from the dead?

Pretty sure there is a "Sticky" for setting the gains using a DMM, but you aren't going to read Watts: you're looking for Volts.
To get a basic idea what voltage you should set the gains to, you can multiply the RMS power of your amplifier's output by the final impedance of the speaker(s), then find the square root of that number. (If you're using an amplifier that has an RMS output greater than your speaker(s) can handle then use the RMS rating of the speaker to determine what voltage to set your amp to.)
thanks...I already have all of that down...just asking about when you have 2 speakers as the load, on 1 channel.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.