what amp brands put out true rms and great sq?

bostonkid92
10+ year member

i'm looking at amps and i was wondering what brands put out what they say they do. i've heard a lot of people say that some amps put out half what the say they do, that's terrible. i'd want the amp to provide great sound quality. i'd rather not pay an arm and a leg but i know you get what you pay for. any advice on what to look for when buying used on craigslist?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

i'm looking at amps and i was wondering what brands put out what they say they do. i've heard a lot of people say that some amps put out half what the say they do, that's terrible. i'd want the amp to provide great sound quality. i'd rather not pay an arm and a leg but i know you get what you pay for. any advice on what to look for when buying used on craigslist?
TEST IT, if they don't want you to then pass on it... ALSO 99% of CL is stupatarded. You'd be better off buying here from someone who is reputable (GREAT FEEDBACK) and ask a good few people about that experience just to get a feeler on whether or not you feel safe thru them.

ive made some great deals on craigslist, id say look for rockford fosgate amps which are actually under rated, the jl 500/1 and 1000/1 do rated power aswell, older school stuff is normally good.

Basically If an amp says it does 3,000,000,987.397 watts and costs $150, expect it to do about 12 watts RMS.

When buying on craigslist....definitely look for a power light to come on, sound to come out, and a fuse not to blow.

Usually ppl around here are very experienced and sell the good stuff. Also, are you looking for a mono amp for a sub or a multi channel amp for speakers?

The install is the biggest thing when talking about how it sounds. (Setting gains, keeping the signal clean, good ground etc). Bad installs can make the best equipment sound like gas passing out of a trunk. What sub and speakers are you using?

my jbl crown bpx1100.... does 1180 @4-1 ohm //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

i'm looking for a mono amp. as for subs, im always buying, selling and trading subs so i can hear different brands and models. i'm looking for a good all around amp i can use on most of them. i know you can't hook any subs up to any amp, i'm just looking for an amp that would power most of the systems i deal with or just get one decent powered amp and one for bigger set ups. and i know about how the power light should come on, not the protection light, it powers the subs, etc but are there any other things i should look for? check the inside of the amp for anything, idk? i just want to make sure whatever i get has no hidden issues

Most brands put out their rated wattage at 14.4, as claimed. Even budget stuff. Some do a bit more. The key is to stay away from truly cheap products which also frequently make astronomical claims with regards to their power output.

doubt someone will let you crack the seal on their amp . i would adjust gain xover bass boost etc while playing low volume to make sure theres not static and it all works . also no stinky amps

cant go wrong with rockford,jl,jbl,memphis,mmats,AQ,sundown,Skar,digital designs,. dude theres so many you just gotta do some reading i left out a ton of them

i'm looking for a mono amp. as for subs, im always buying, selling and trading subs so i can hear different brands and models. i'm looking for a good all around amp i can use on most of them. i know you can't hook any subs up to any amp, i'm just looking for an amp that would power most of the systems i deal with or just get one decent powered amp and one for bigger set ups. and i know about how the power light should come on, not the protection light, it powers the subs, etc but are there any other things i should look for? check the inside of the amp for anything, idk? i just want to make sure whatever i get has no hidden issues
unless you know how amp guts are supposed to look. Not really. Basically make sure it can stay on for an extended period of time while playing music, and feel it to make sure its not getting too hot too fast and multimeter that sucka.

as for wanting to test different brands and models...back when i wanted to do that i thought having a alpine PDX or a Jl slash or HD was a great idea since its the same wattage at different ohm loads...(and JL has that whole variable voltage thing RIPS i think?) but a solid 900-1000 watt amp @ 2 (and also 1 ohm stable) will do you well. I personally have an Elemental Designs 9.1 and it has powered a JBL w12gti, and IDMAX, and now and Audioque HDC3

In all honesty you can hook up a lot of subs to a lot of amps. Any brands you looking at in particular?

The list of amps that do what they say they do (at 14.4 volts) will get pretty long.

oh okay, i just don't want an amp that will do way less than what it's rated for. hifonics has amazing prices and they always stay cold but i've heard they do way less than rated. honestly, i have no idea what brands to look at. the ones that were mentioned above i checked out the other day but prices are crazy but i guess the higher the quality, the higher the price. all i need is one solid amp to use for most applications

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.