what about a metal box?

mulisharider10
10+ year member

Low Co. Motives
i wanted to know , has enyone ever made a sub box out of metal and if so, what did it sound like. I was planning on making one whith mild steel with lots of braces. if it sounds good i would like to make more and sell them.So if u have any ideas just leave a post.

haha.. ****.. your a thinker.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I wonder.. would it echo or somthin'? Reminds me of old flicks where they flop around tin for thunder.. ..oh well.. Go for it and see what happens..

I could ask this guy that works with me to make a dual box, with 1" thick steel...then I wouldn't need any lowering springs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

1/4" steel is stronger than just about any thickness of mdf, however, I read an article a while back indicating some problems with metal boxes....let me try to find it and get back to you....

i beleive metal bounces sound waves very easily, which isnt really good when designing a system, thats why mdf is used because its so "dead". its worth a try if its not costing a fortune, and might look sweet if u polish up the metal and such..

Originally posted by mgaidica i beleive metal bounces sound waves very easily, which isnt really good when designing a system, thats why mdf is used because its so "dead". its worth a try if its not costing a fortune, and might look sweet if u polish up the metal and such..
if thats the only problem, you may be able to line the inside with deadener, though you will be loosing some volume in that case....I think this box may cost you a lot, you plan on welding it shut, right?

Yeah, i plan on every seem welded shut. Also , have a foam liner similar to dynamat to line the inside of the box. I was plannig 1/8 ga. mild steel and building a support frame on the inside with angle iron. Im a sheet metal worker, so all this stuff comes to me easy.

Originally posted by mulisharider10 Yeah, i plan on every seem welded shut. Also , have a foam liner similar to dynamat to line the inside of the box. I was plannig 1/8 ga. mild steel and building a support frame on the inside with angle iron. Im a sheet metal worker, so all this stuff comes to me easy.
why not just use 1/4" and not even bother bracing? not that I dont like it...but the diamond plate look is far from new....but I like your idea, love to see how it works.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.