wattage of amp @ 8 ohm impedance

Participant count
  • Participant list

rf21
10+ year member

need help here... i have a rockford amp that is rated 800a4... its gives you a power of 100x4 @ 4 ohms and 200x4 @ 2 ohms.... but im planning to use it for my type r subs (12"- 4 ohm + 4 ohm) that is why im gonna bridge it to 2 channel giving it a power of 400x2 @ 4ohm... how much power will my amp produce if i wire my subs to series... it will now have an 8 ohm impedance... will the power per channel also decrease to half since the impedance is twice.?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif :confused:

dude... if your subs are SVC 4ohm then wire them in stereo to the amp bridging from 4 to 2 channels which would give you 400w RMS x 2. thats 400w RMS to each sub which should pound pretty **** hard.

no dude the thing is ive got dvc subs (4 ohm+4 ohm) ... so ill be having like 8 ohm per sub... will my 400x2 rms be giving half the power since the impedance is doubled?

Originally posted by rf21 no dude the thing is ive got dvc subs (4 ohm+4 ohm) ... so ill be having like 8 ohm per sub... will my 400x2 rms be giving half the power since the impedance is doubled?
If you have two dvc 4 ohm subs wired in parrallel, it would give you a 1 ohm load. Wired in series, a 4 ohm load. I don't know if I understand you completly, but I hope this helps.

Originally posted by RangerMan  

If you have two dvc 4 ohm subs wired in parrallel, it would give you a 1 ohm load. Wired in series, a 4 ohm load. I don't know if I understand you completly, but I hope this helps.
rangerman... he is wiring these subs to a 4 channel amp.

so guys what you are saying is that at an 8 ohm load my subs will just be getting 200watts each instead of 400x2?

i've got another option though..i've got one more amp, but its just rockford 500a2... what if i wire my subs to parallel ( that gives each sub a 2 ohm load each) and hook in the 500a2.. each channel will be giving like 250 x 2 rms @ 2 ohm each... do you think that will be ok instead of the 800a4 that is being bridged to 2 channel? will this give me enough bump though because the type r that i have is rated 300 rms each... need your help again...

wiring the DVC for each sub in parallel and wiring in stereo to the 500a2 sounds like a good plan to me. that should hit pretty good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.