Wattage number reality check for newbie

Participant count
  • Participants list

pcmrsage

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am new to car audio and haven't been trying to budget and plan out my first system for my BMW 3 series (hifi option 676).

My goal with this system is to get good sq at pretty high volumes primarily for rock and metal, however I also listen to a lot of rap, trap, and drum n bass. Accuracy and responsiveness are my main focuses, but I would still like to turn up the bass for some songs.

I already purchased a form fit box for my trunk off eBay, link. She holds 2 12s. Originally I was planning on 2 dc audio lvl3s. I was wondering if this was a little overkill. Most I've actually heard was 2 300w 12s with a 500w amp.

In the future I will certainly be upgrading the front and rear component systems and underwear midbass woofers, so the subs will only have to play the low lows.

Last edited:
Well, welcome to the SQ way. You still need to plan your budget. Firstly, make a major vibration and soundproofing of at least your car doors and door trim, and trunk. You need to decide on the components of the system and what will be its concept, whether it will be a system on a DSP sound processor or will it be a regular one. In any case, you will need a high-quality head unit, everything starts from the source, and of course, other components (amplifiers, speakers) must match. Naturally high-quality component speakers, two or three-way, this is also up to you. And you still need to invest in high-quality wiring.
It's good that you bought a sealed subwoofer box, this will just allow you to get fast bass. The only thing I have doubts about is the thickness of its body, in appearance and in the description it is not a thick box. But there is a way to improve it. It is also necessary to correctly select subwoofers for the volume of this box.

Accuracy and responsiveness are my main focuses, but I would still like to turn up the bass for some songs.

You may have already shot yourself in the foot with that box then. Any metric for "good sound" is going to depend on matching the sub with the correct box and then you will need to have that system in a good position in the car. That prefab box seems a bit on the small side for 2 12's, being sealed you must now find a woofer that is designed to perform correctly in a sealed box of that airspace, then you may also find that that intended position in the trunk is going to be rather poor, that sort of arrangement is "all show and no go", and leaves room for all sorts of standing waves; in other words, box all the way to the back or in a corner will avoid a lot of acoustic interference.

Not sure if the DC is fit for sealed box, but before you buy anything make sure manufacturer has similar sealed box recommendations for the woofer.

One of these would would work better in that box imo...both are clean sounding subs

And 2 sql on 2-3k power get low and loud 🤗

Last edited:
Wouldn't the GCON fit the bill here as well? Heard good stuff about those in an SQ setup. But I'm no SQ expert and that's just my .02

Last edited:
And even then the Demons are a nice subwoofer. Heard a pair of those in the 10" locally Monday afternoon on around 1,200 watts and for a sealed box in a very small 4 door car they hit really nice. Custom box of course, car was some Hyundai or Kia ICR what it was just remember it was one of their small 4 door cars geared towards younger people. A teenage girl had it at the local place I pick up 8 Gauge Speaker wire. She is upgrading to 1/0 OFC to from the 4 gauge OFC she had in there as she is buying upgrade parts in pieces being 17 or 18. Said down the line she wanted to upgrade to a single 15" ported and more power so had a long talk with her on suggestions, big 3, alternator and what not.

I was really impressed with those Demons. If I had to do a sealed box in something it would be at the top of the list after hearing those.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...