Want to replace stock system, need general advice soon!!!!

-cy-

Alright, i have a '98 firebird, and have a little over $1000 at the moment to spend on it. I want to replace the factory 8 speaker monsoon system. This will just be for listening to (i love music), not competitions or anything.

One major thing is i want to have a CD changer. I can't seem to find any in dash changers, so can you mount a CD changer in the glove box (i heard you could)? If i did go that route, are there head units made specifically for controlling CD changers, or do i still have to get one that has a CD player?

I don't have much space for a box for a sub (i don't need 2, at least not yet), so i need advice on the sub.

I also will need an amp and around 4 or so speakers, and i need suggestions on how many speakers and what kind, as well as what kind of amp to get.

Like i said, i have about $1000 to spend, and this system doesn't have to be the best the world has seen, i want it to sound good, thats all (so i don't need to leave to possibility open for like 4 subs). I need suggestions on brands in general, specific speakers, and things of that nature. Thanks

I really don't think you can do it for $1,000. You could replace the head unit, put in an amp, and get your cd changer though. That would be an "upgrade" in your price range. Just my opinion. If you try and replace everything your talking about very low quality stuff, less than what you have now.

Well, i am talking to a friend's brother who works at a car audio shop, and he will give me dealer price almost on things. I am going to speak to him in a day or 2 about prices and his reccomendations.

Another friend who went through him got head unit, 4 speakers, sub and box, amp, and install for around $900 - $1000. Since i am getting the changer and all, i might cut back on the speakers and use stock untill i can afford more. Also, i can probably go up to $1400 now, but it all depends on how much he gets stuff for and his reccomendations.

With the "quality" of your current speakers, I would upgrade them last. Right now you need a clean power source(amp and HU). If your determined to get some speakers now, I recommend Pioneer in the price range you'll be looking for. You might even look into getting some Kicker Resolution Mid-Range speakers eventually. Seems that you want sound quality but are not into the boom of subs. These should fill in for the subs. I'm not an expert, I just have ears!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Exactly, in dash changers are very expensive. I don't want the enourmous boom of the bass, but i want bass sometimes (i listen to a number of different types of music).

You could try some mid-bass speakers and use them like subs. Not real big bass, but should add a little something to your system. Kicker makes some 6.5" and 8" mid-bass speakers. Just my 2 cents.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.