Want to compete but....

Participant count
  • Participant list

makel23
10+ year member

I would like to compete in sq, what exactly are the judges looking for? What sounds good to me may not be what sq is judged upon. What I try to do is make it sound as though I'm at a live show. I close my eyes and listen to if it sounds as though the person on vocals is standing centered and in front of me. I have my rear speakers at -3 or -4 in order to place the vocalist up front and the time alignment set to try and center that person. Anything else I can do? I wish I could put my 2 10w7's in kick panels up front!! Awww that would be nice. I still need to dynomat that should help my sq. I also have a jl 250/1 I was thinking of either, A) running 2 8"w3v2's in a sealed box in the center consol or B) running a mono signal to 2 4" QSD's, just the mids not the tweeters, and custom fitting them centered high in the dash. Please any suggestions, comments, or sh%t talking is very welcome.

I personally am not a JL fan, but I have to appreciate your set-up. I bet it sounds pretty darn good, what kind of car?

I entered for SQ one time..Its all up to the judges taste (and how nice the guy who owns the shop the shows ats system in his BMW is, anyway). Besides the judges opinion, its based on a points scale. You get points for having pitures of your install, having the wire fastened to the car every couple inches, having pretty wire and dist blocks (more money spent = better score), the overall lay-out of the entire car, having equalizers, how many stickers of the sanctioning body you have on your car. You also get to post a SPL core as well. Theres more to it and I personally would like to run SQ, just at 150+.

Concerning the sound portion of the comp, you should be worried about phase and placement of the speakers. The most favorable placement of the speakers in a car is the lowest place you can put them, in the front of the car. This way, the waves produced bounce off of a minimal amount of objects before they get to your ear. If the waves bounce, some will go directly to your ear, and some will reflect off of an object before going to your ear. When this happens, your subconscious makes you not hear notes, as they are out of phase, and cancel each other.

Also, unless you are very skilled in this topic, refrain from including rear fill in your vehicle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

makel23

10+ year member
makel23
San Diego,CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from