Volvo C70 convertible sound system build log

Yesterday I cemented the shingles to the thin foam pad on the drivers side. The roofing sealer / adhesive that I purchased in place of the roofing cement said it was brush-able but it was still pretty thick. I used the sealer to seal the top layer of thin foam pad to the shingles I laid down. Even though the sealer was sticky, it spread easily on the slick / smooth & shiny foam pad.

Then I cut down the heater ducts that channel hot air under front seats and to the rear passenger compartment., I reinstalled the factory foam pad, carpets & set the front seats back in. { I also cleaned the seats while they were out}

Today I walked to hardware store and purchased another pack of expanding retainers "they are hard to describe" but - when I was a Volvo tech and prepping new cars one of the many things that needed done was to installing the front license plate bracket, to do so two holes the size of a sharpy marker were made and then some metal inserts were pushed into the holes. When a bolt was threaded into the inserts the bolt pulled the other end of the insert forward and the insert crushed & smashed into the inside of the bumper. In doing so it created a solid mounting surface for the license plate bolts or in the case of a Volvo torx bots.

More to the point, the door panels on my C70 are held onto the door with quality expanding push ins, where their is a part that slides into the door and then a push in slides into the other part and expands it. My door panels were tight before but they could have been vibrating some & any sound damping materiel applied to the inside of the door panels will added weight.

So I've had kept my eye out for a metal expanding retainer, simpler to the Volvo license plate inserts and I found some a Lows Home Improvement.

I had to modify the the retainers built in mounting surface / flange {the washer type area} a bit so it was flat & didn't have fangs that dig in. The retainers would have worked just fine with that simple modification but I couldn't leave well enough alone, I purchased some lock washers to put on the inside of the door and then the retainer could pull tight on the surface of the lock washer, but then later I thought the metal on metal might vibrate, so I purchased some rubber gasket materiel,

The rubber gasket materiel was less then the thickness of two credit cards and I cut it into 12 one inch by one inch squares. Then I stacked all 12 of the squares up and tapped them tougher with two or three layers of masking tape.

Then I drilled a hole thru the center of them so that I could use the rubber instead of a lock washer or in addition to a lock washers when I install the retainers tommrow.

I am debating what I want to do as fare as sound damping my doors goes, the roofing sealer / adhesives is thick but it could run and sag, then during curing the process adhesion would be reduced and the foam or shingles could pull away. or the sealer could pool were I don't want it to.

So when I sound dampen my doors I would really like to take the doors off, put then on fender stands, sound dampened them and build my speaker enclosures at the same time but that takes time and space.

So it looks like tomorrow I am going to be sound dampening the insides of the door panels with a layer of foam, my though is that the door panels are like fiber board and their for don't resonate much but maybe the foam could absorb & dissipate a bit more road noise.

While I was looking at the door panels I can see how they need to be modified to blend well with a enclosure for a 10 but given my budget and time I just need to put the doors back together and get my car back on the road.

I cut the wing-lets out for my C70's rear wing out of some Lexan and they turned out really good.

Then I put some thin foam on the inside of my door panels

After checking the window tinting laws in I found my tint isn't legal, the tint is light "35%" put I am going to have to pull the tint so now I have to rethink the whole exterior styling of my car.

C70spoiler1_zps04275b17.jpg'%20alt='C70spoiler1_zps04275b17.jpg'>

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.