Volume of box for Skar SDR 18

Participant count
  • Participant list

DylanBeatz
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Wisconsin
My friend has this sub and needs a box. They recommend a tiny box, why is that? Do you guys think thats a good idea? Most boxes for 18's are in 6 to 8 cube boxes correct?

Recommended Ported Volume: 4.60 ft³

My friend has this sub and needs a box. They recommend a tiny box, why is that? Do you guys think thats a good idea? Most boxes for 18's are in 6 to 8 cube boxes correct? Recommended Ported Volume: 4.60 ft³

Skar SDR?.. probably since it has a tiny relatively weak motor for the size of speaker.
I wouldn't expect big strong lows like quality 18's but a punchy and strong response in the 40hz range instead.
That tiny motor probably is suited better for the 10" or 12"...With a 1200 watt amp @ 1 ohm I would personally go no bigger than 5.5ft3 net and I feel a single 6" aeroport should be sufficent tuned to 32hz if the subsonic is set about 3hz under tuning.
I usually hate the Skar enclosure recommendations but in this case it's probably for a reason.
Skar... idk

They recommend a tiny box, why is that?
Because when your typical shopper is looking for a woofer they have some idea stuck in their head of what size driver they need to "play dem lowz" or how much cone area they think they have and all things being equal they're going to buy from whichever brand promises them they can pack the most cone area into the smallest space.

To some extent this isn't even "wrong". Back in the 80s and 90s SPL builds would just cram as much cone area in sealed boxes as you could fit and add a shitload of power and you'd get loud. We're pretty much full circle back to that these days.

Anyway, you'll need to hope that the brand publishes accurate specs and do the modeling yourself if you want to know how things will perform for you.

I will suggest that from what I've seen at shows and all the only woofers that really seem to shine in unusually small boxes are the DC lineup. Build quality of soft parts used to be rather poor though and I haven't seen much of their stuff at shows up here in several years now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...