vinyl record players...

Participant count
  • Participant list

saywhat?
5,000+ posts

satx120, jealous?
is there a decent, cheap one out? possibly one I could find used on ebay? i want to start buying vinyls along side my cd's. my dad has a player but i dont know if it works, or is even hooked up for that matter. what all is needed outside of the player and speakers. dad said he needs to get a tuner or something?

What's cheap to you?

I bought mine off Ebay, there can be some excellent deals out there but you need to know what you're looking at. Craigslist can be another good source...

Give me a budget and we'll go from there.

as cheap as possible? my dad has some sort of pioneer....possibly mid to late 80's? early 90's?

I really don't want to spend a ton as it's just something I want for the garage, instead of CD's. Just want to start a collection of all the CD's I like, but vinyls.

An integrated amp/receiver/something that can drive the speakers, it needs to have a phono preamplifier in it or you need an external one, because you can't simply plug a turntable into an AUX or tape input. Older amps can have some pretty nice phono stages inside of them.

i dont know what all this costs haha.
There isn't an easy answer to that...the lower your budget is, the more patient you're going to have to be with hunting on CL or at yard sales. The higher the budget, the more convenient things become.

i will look at it tomorrow morning and see what i can figure out about it. be it a model number, or just take some pics. if it will work, and play the vinyls, thats all i want. im not an audiophile, i just want some music in the garage.

So why not go with CDs?

As much as I love LPs, they're an awful pain in the ass if you aren't getting any benefits from them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So why not go with CDs?
As much as I love LPs, they're an awful pain in the ass if you aren't getting any benefits from them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
something different. thats all. cd's stay in the car, i need something that stays in the house and would rather not rip/burn the cd's. i try to buy the cd's from the guys i would actually buy the vinyl of.

as i said...if it plays, and sounds pretty good, ill be happy. it doesnt have to sound perfect....i have always wanted to run a record player and i would like to use what i have and buy what i want music wise for it.

Would several thousand titles (including new releases by many current artists) be enough choice?
http://www.musicdirect.com/
I'm sure that's not what he meant //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Not every pressing of every album sounds the same. Depends on where/who made it.

I guess I can understand...it is different...but garages have both vibration and dust, both the arch-rivals of vinyl playback. For background music digital is a lot less hassle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.