Vc temp sensor

Participant count
  • Participant list
Jeff Hulbert ranted about these on CACO a while back.

I would not buy them. Instead, I use my nose to sense when subs are being pushed too much. The only sub I've broken was damaged mechanically, not thermally.

I see why people with 4th orders that have the coils in the sealed section would want these. I wouldn't mount subs like that anyways. I'm mounting my new 15's with the motor in the ported section. Better for cooling and you can push the subs further thermally because of this.

They have been tested and shown to be pretty accurate. Once you can smell a coil it's already started to damage it. Also there is such a thing a scent blindness, if you're smelling burnt coil over and over, your nose will become less sensitive to it.

the thing that bothers me is that there isnt a "safe temp" thus you have to get them hot to begin with to even see where it may be damaged. and it will not be the same between copper, aluminum, and china & american coils. not to variances in immensity and the sensor averages the temp within its view.

i happen to know the american temp at which coils degrade. you can also take them wayyyy higher then anyone has said was "good" then they go. just a note. if you have 150 to blow instead of learning your system, by all means, get it done.

Yeah all good points. My thoughts are that if you've properly matched the subs to the amp, tuned properly and your voltage stays up you should be fine and have no need for a temp sensor. However if you have things set up to be pushed beyond limits then yes it would be a good idea perhaps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.